29.

I had all my morning classes with Steph and my afternoon ones with Dean.

It no longer bothered me that Dean was in nearly all my classes. It just means I have someone to talk to when needed and when the teacher asks for group activities, I didn't have to stress too much because Dean was there.

I was feeling so happy and after school, Steph and I were going shopping as I hit the dilemma of not having clothes for the weekend.

Dean drove us back to Steph's and we were going to catch the local bus to the mall when Dean caught wind of our plans and offered to drive us. Tommy was still sick. He reckons he is better, but he decided to stay home today so he didn't spread any disease.

"Thank you, driver." I teased Dean as we got out off his car.

Dean rolled his eyes and groaned, but I saw the small smirk as he got out.

"Woah." Steph stopped him then. "What are you doing?"

"I'm getting out of my car." He stated in a flat tone.

"You are not coming with."

Dean and I frowned. "It will be fine, Steph." I insisted but she gave Dean a stern look with what looked like crazy eyes.

Dean sighed and leaned against his car, crossing his arms. "Fine."

"Thank you." She then smiled at him.

Dean narrowed his eyes and bowed, playing with us.

"Ladies, I will patiently wait here for your return."

"Excellent." Steph stated and took my arm. I gave Dean an apologetic look, keeping up to Steph.

"That was harsh." I whispered to her.

"He'll get over it." Was her reply. "Besides, we don't want any male's crashing our shopping vibe, do we?"

We both giggled, getting on to the escalator.

"Where to first?" I asked her.

"Well, I was thinking City Chic."

****

Dean was in all my classes on Friday.  I kept looking at the time in study hall, knowing in ten minutes music class will begin.

I was tapping my pen against my book, spacing out. I was nervous.

Dean cleared his throat, grabbing my attention. "I remember when you went off at me for that." He played at me and I stopped instantly.

"Sorry." I mumbled, looking back at the clock in the centre of the wall.

"Nervous?" He asked me.

I nodded, watching the second move. "Are you?" I feel like I'm sweating like a sinner in church!

"Well, yeah. But I just pretend..." Then Dean took a breathe as he thought for a minute. "I pretend I'm at home in my room, playing the instrument for myself."

I snapped my head to him. "You hesitated. Why did you hesitate?" I asked him. I need to know. Was he lying to me? Was he trying to make me feel better. Dean gave me a weird look, a frown mixed with a smile.

"I didn't hesitate." He stated. "I'm nervous as well. I hate doing oral assessments. But I want to play so I have to."

I nodded, happy with that answer and went back to the clock. I've been staring at it since I saw it and that was only a couple minutes after I sat down here. The time was going by so slowly but eventually, music class was happening.

We went down to the building and I was fighting my nerves. I had butterflies in my stomach. I was constantly swallowing my saliva. I didn't feel good at all. I hope I don't have what Tommy had.

"Are you okay, you're looking a bit pale." Dean asked me.

"I feel sick." I whispered placing a hand on my stomach.

We got to the door of our classroom and my breathing had become erratic.

"It's nerves, I'm sure, Beth." Dean tried to comfort me but I knew I was about to make myself sick. I've never felt like this before. I just nodded my head and went inside.

Dean went to the two teachers and spoke to them before sitting next to me. We listened to three other groups before we had to perform.

I tried to control my panic attack before then, but nothing was working. With shaky legs, I walked to the front of the double class, the guitar in my hand.

I froze. Dean was about to start playing but leaned over to me. "Remember, we are only by ourselves. Close your eyes and picture it's just you and me together, practicing."

I gave Dean a small nod and sat on the stool, adjusting the guitar before closing my eyes and taking a deep breathe.

I pictured I was alone, playing for myself, to myself, but it didn't help. I tried again, imagining we were in Dean's bedroom, laughing as we played.

That made me relax a little and my fingers started to move. That was Dean's cue to start and at the sound of his guitar and his voice, I relaxed enough to open my eyes slowly.

I sung when my lines came up. I was frigid at first and I noticed my voice was flat and rectified it as soon as I could.

Then I noticed, I was having fun. I went louder, smiling at Dean, seeing him return it. A couple kids wooted and whistled and I broke my eye contact with Dean, blushing, but I kept singing.

Then Dean joined in. I was having fun. I didn't take notice of the teachers or the students in the class room.

I watched Dean intensely as I knew my solo part was coming up. I built the intensity and closed my eyes, belting the next line out.

I stood up, still playing, walking to Dean as he kept playing. I saw the deep breathe he took before it was his turn again and in perfect harmony, we sung together, the cords we hit were in sync and I looked back up at him.

I could see the amusement in his eyes and my smile went even wider. We got closer together till we were mere millimetres about from each other's faces.

We sung the last line and I had stopped playing, letting Dean finish the song.

The room went silent and we were breathless.

I sighed out, my cheeks red and then I giggled, covering my face with my hands, letting my guitar hang from my neck from it's strap.

The room exploded as the students and Mr and Mrs Wood clapped.

I took the guitar off me and gently placed it down and Dean did the same.

I laughed again, looking at Dean before covering my face again. "Oh gawd." I giggled.

"You did it!" Dean exclaimed as he scooped me up in to his arms.

I wrapped my arms around his neck as my feet went up and off the floor. I laughed some more before getting my feet back on the ground. Dean and I were still in an embrace, our faces losing their smiles when Mr Wood interrupted us, making us turn our heads to him.

"Congratulations, Elizabeth and Dean. You left us both very surprised. You both pass."