Chapter 5

Draco and Harry both got up and got ready silently the next morning, an awkward tension filling the air. Harry wanted to apologize to Draco. He didn't know why, up until a few days ago he had absolutely despised the git. But for some reason he couldn't stand the silence, the fact that Draco was mad at him made him mad at himself, and the guilt felt like it was eating away at his insides. He finally spoke up, turning to Draco as he was fixing his tie.

"Draco?" Harry asked, gaining the blond's attention. Silver eyes turned to him, waiting. "Draco I'm really sorry I listened to your conversation. I know it was private. I'm sorry." Harry said, biting his lip in anticipation of Draco's outburst. But it didn't come. Instead, Draco just gave a small nod, face still showing no emotion. Harry took a deep breath, knowing he might end up regretting his next words before they left his mouth. "So, friends?" He stuck out his hand, his eyes locking with Draco's. The blond's eyes flicked between Harry's green ones and his outstretched hand, gulping as his mask seemed to break.

Instead of anger, or disgust, or any other emotion Harry had expected to see on Draco's face, instead he saw...sorrow?

"Remember when I asked you this first year?" Draco asked, still staring at him sadly. "Remember how you said no?" Harry instantly filled with regret. He knew now that Draco wasn't a bad guy, and he knew that if he hadn't been so rude that he and Draco could have been friends much sooner.

"Look, Draco I'm sorry about that too..." Harry started to put his hand down, but Draco grabbed it, shaking it firmly. Both boys felt electricity tingle between their fingertips, but neither really wanted to let go. Harry didn't know why, but something kept him holding Draco's hand.

"Friends." The blond said, finally dropping Harry's hand. They stood there awkwardly for another moment or so before Harry cleared his throat.

"So, breakfast?"

* * *

Harry was sitting at the Gryffindor table chewing on a piece of bacon and reading the Daily Profit when Ron came storming into the hall. He walked over and plopped down across from Harry, watching him with weary eyes.

"Ron what's wrong w-"

"You have to come back to our dorm mate." Ron started, and Harry sighed, setting down his newspaper to gaze wearily at Ron. He was about to speak when Ron cut him off. "Now I know what your gonna say, but I have an idea. So you know how you are roomed with him because they want you two to get along better? Yeah? Well all you have to do is pretend you like the git. Then when Dumbledore see's, he will room you back with us! Its brilliant!" Ron smiled, obviously proud of his new plan.

"Well that shouldn't be too hard," Harry said, taking a sip of pumpkin juice, "Considering we actually get on pretty well." Ron's smile dropped.

"You mean to tell me, that you and the prat who has made fun of us for years, who called Hermione a mudblood, and who is the son of a damn Death Eater get on well?" He sneered, looking at Harry with disgust. Harry was disgusted with Ron as well, Draco was nothing like his father.

"I know he's treated us like shit, Ron. But once you get to know him he is a generally good guy. You can't judge someone before you know them." Ron looked like he was about to butt it, but Harry wasn't finished. "Remember how everyone hated Sirius? Remember how they wanted him dead? They didn't know the story, and neither do you . Malfoy is nothing like his father." Harry finished, leaving Ron speechless. Even if he could have formed words, he would have soon been cut off by a blond walking their way.

"Hey Harry, I forgot my quill and was heading back to the room, is there anything you need for potions that you want me to grab?" Ron was shocked by this seemingly kinder side of Malfoy, and also the fact that he called Harry Harry, rather than his usual snort of Potter. Harry thought about it for a minute, before answering the blond.

"Yea, actually. Could you grab me an extra roll of parchment? Its in the drawer of the coffee table." Harry said, as Ron turned to the tall boy.

"Malfoy." He spit, glaring at the bloke.

"Hello, Ron." Draco said pleasently, not a hint of malice within the words, leaving Ron confused and shocked.

"Thanks, Draco." Harry smiled, and the blond smiled back before walking off. Harry turned back to Ron, whose mouth was still hanging open.

"What the bloody hell was that and what has it done with Malfoy."

* * *

It was late that night when Hermione was leaving the library, after a long night of studying for the DADA test that was coming up. Umbridge was a horrid teacher, and Hermione hated that class. Never before had she hated any part of school, until the tiny little she devil dressed in p- her thoughts were interrupted by running into someone in the dark corridor. She toppled over, dropping her books everywhere.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry Granger." The person rushed, bending over to help her gather her books and help her to her feet again. She looked up and immediately backed away, staring at Malfoy.

"What do you want?" She asked warily, eyeing the tall boy, waiting for him to insult her or push her over or do something of the sort.

"Look, Hermione.. I want to apologize." Draco said, scratching the back of his neck."I'm sorry for always teasing you and for calling you a....mudblood." He whispered the last word, ashamed to say it. Hermione was completely surprised, shock written all over her face.

"I..i-i....Thank you." She finally said, looking up at the Slytherin.

"It was needed." Draco said, shrugging off the thanks before turning on his heal and walking away, leaving Hermione frozen in the corridor, watching his back until he was out of sight.

* * *

Ron was seated on the couch in the common room, talking with Dean and Seamus about how to get Harry back to their dorm. He had explained to them what had happened this morning, and now they were more frantic than ever to get Harry away from the Slytherin git. In the middle of their planning, they heard the painting swing open, and turned to look at who it was. Hermione stepped into the common room, looking shaken. Ron quickly got up to help her, and she made her way over to the group, plunking her books down on the table and sitting quietly next to the boys.

"Blimey, Hermione. Whats wrong?" Seamus asked, as the girl looked both confused and shaken.

"I was in the library, studying. When I left, I ran into someone. They knocked me over, and quickly apologized." She explained, still looking a bit dazed. The boys looked at her with confusion, not sure why this effected her so. "He helped me up. It was Malfoy." The boys became shocked, just as Hermione had been. "Then he... apologized. For everything, for the teasing, the name calling, all of it." She said, looking as though she couldn't believe it herself. The boys quickly became upset, this "new Malfoy" confused them.

"What's wrong with him?" Ron asked, becoming more worried for his best friend than before. "He has to be planning something. He's gonna gain Harry's trust, then hurt him! Turn him over to Voldemort!" Hermione shook her head, and all of them stared at her.

"Maybe Harry has just been a good influence on him."

*Authors Note*

Hi guys! I hope you liked this chapter, and thank you so much for all the votes this has been getting! It means a lot! Anyways, so in my version Seamus and the others aren't being twats and are still friends with Harry. Ok, thanks for reading!

-J :)