CHAPTER | 05 | HIS ROOTS

Start from the beginning

"Shit! This can't be happening. Damm!!!.......this was suppose to be a secret for Christ sake!" Mide groaned, letting out a deep breath.

"Step Mom confronted me at Grandpa's house. It was so shady." Toke explains.

"Step mom?"

"Yes, daddy's second wife, she confronted me and things got ugly, like you need to see her accusing me manipulating you in breaking up with her best friend's daughter."

"Stephanie?" Mide spat with utmost disgust in his tone.

"Of course baby brother.. Stephanie Wellington, she spewed all sorts of jargon, that I'm aware of you bringing a stranger home!"

"Really? Why will she do that, it's unacceptable, Stephanie and i broke up during high school, right before graduation, it's none of her business, she's just angry and bitter like always. No shades!"

"Indeed no shades baby brother, but StepMom went nuts and almost made a scene when I wouldn't give her any details. She said i am responsible for misleading you, that she's sure that I'm the reason you abandoned Stephanie, blah blah blah blah blah. Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada"

"Yikes! Are you kidding me. That's awful, " Mide said in his British accent.

"Yes, not only that, she said I'm your new mom, I've never respected her, i tuned our younger sister Mabel against her as well. We've never regarded her as a mother figure and i, have personally turned you against her, can you imagine. Said ever since you left for the England you never for one called her.... Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada" Mide could hear his sister's laughter at the end of the line.

"Now that's funny. Family feuds" Mide bursts into laughter.

"If you say so baby brother." Toke chimed.

"So, she doesn't knows anything else, when I'm coming or where I'm going to stay, once I get back?" He asked.

"No, but I'm sure she'll find out eventually. Get ready baby brother. And don't forget to hire securities with great abs once you get back to Nigeria. My new sister in-law needs protection" Toke teased.

"You must be joking," Mide laughed. "What about mum, i spoke to her days ago, she didn't seem angry." He questioned.

"Hmmm, well mom is fine and i don't think the news has reached her, but you know our mother, she won't show it, however grand pa hasn't said anything yet to me, even dad, i don't think they're aware about your engagement, i guess they're just waiting for you to come back, especially grandmother." Toke warmed

Mide took a deep breath. "I haven't forgotten her." He rolled his eyes.

"More reasons you need bouncers seriously, you need to protect your self from Mum, if you don't want to be battered by her. You know how mum can be a clawed lioness." Toke laughed.

Mide chuckled "No, there's no need for security, I'll just meet them and explain everything."

"Ok, if you say so baby boy. Well, I gotta run, George's calling, time for lunch."

"My regards to Uncle George and kiss my nephew and niece for me." Mide said wholeheartedly.

"I will, and you took must take care of Annika for me. My baby girl deserves to be taken care of, don't lose her."

"I will Mrs Makinwa......but tell me, why I'm i having a feeling you like my fiancée more than your own brother" Mide teased.

"I don't know, it happens, tides change..... don't worry when you come back to Nigeria I'll save you all your favorite dishes okay."