CHAPTER | 07 | E SHOCK YOU?

Laide closed her eyes, lifted her arms into the air, and began to pray aloud: "Heavenly father, Oh Jesus, baba mi, oluwa awon oluwa, father of the fatherless, Ominipotent God, our personal lord and savior, blessed be your name. Baba mi, we come to you humbly asking for your forgiveness today, as we have all sinned against you."

"Thank you for showering your blessings upon us. Thank you for our husbands. Thank you Lord Jesus for the fellowship that we shared today, for the nourishing food we enjoyed, for the power of your holy word. Please watch over our dear children, our daughter in-laws our grandchildren, their friends and their children....."

Laide opened her eyes for a moment, noting with satisfaction that everyone at least was praying along with her and at the end, everybody said a resounding "AMEN!".

Second course gets served: shrimped white rice with stew garnished with fish, meat, pumo, roundabout and the rest with coleslaw with cocktails of champagne to digest the dish. Servants came in serving everyone their food as they ate in silence.

"Funmi has really put on weight since her Ibiza cruise, hasn't she? It must be those all-you-can-eat buffets-you always feel like you have to eat more to get your money's worth. She better be careful, else she'll end up with fat ankles." Laide said as Funke buts in. "She's already getting fat no need to hide the truth."

Shola couldn't help but shake her head, eating her food quietly, Nike's friends were obviously busy bodies and gossips. They're talking about her friend behind her back, but when they see her it's all pretense and fake love. Shior.

"I don't think she cares how fat her ankles get. Do you know how much she inherited when her father died? I heard she and her five brothers got nine hundred million each," Oyindamola said from her chair beside Nike.

"Is that all? I thought Funmi had at least a billion." Laide sniffed, flipping through the magazine, before calling out on Shola.

"Hey, so strange Shola, how come there's no picture of your pretty eldest daughter Toke? I remember all the photographers swarming around her that day." Laide questioned as Aisha chuckles, Shola just acted as if she didn't hear, wondering why Laide is trying to have a conversation with her in front of her mother-in-law when they're not acquainted.

"Those photographers were wasting their time. Toke's pictures are never published anywhere." Aisha said in her beautiful Hausa accent.

"You're right Aisha." Yemisi agreed. "I told Femi to make a deal with all the magazine editors back when Toke was a teenager," Yemisi explained.

"Ahan mummy why on earth would you do that? it's unnecessary" Nike said in her British accent.

"Unnecessary ke? Don't you know our family by now? You may prefer it but my husband doesn't like to appear in prints, especially our children, it's for the best." Shola said as Nike regards her with proud look before looking down at her food.

"But Shola, it's not a big deal, they're grown ups, they should be seen mingling with other Nigerians from prominent families?"Laide said indignantly.

"I totally agree you." Nike said, taking a sip of her champagne.

"Prominent Indeed, but Laide let me remind you, there's a difference between being grand and being discreet," Bolanle commented, knowing full well that families like her best friend the Ajirotutu's and the Salami's guarded their privacy to the point of obsession.

"Grand or not, I think Toke is wonderful," Yinka chimed in.

"You know, I'm not supposed to say, but Toke wrote the biggest check at the fundraiser. And she insisted that I keep it anonymous. But her donation was what made this year's gala a record-breaking success." Laide said as Shola's friend's looks at her irritation. Amebo.