Marvolo Gaunt's ring

Uploaded: 13/8/20

"Phoenix ashes" you whispered to the Sapient Gargoyle, stepping aside it reveals the spiral staircase.

Climbing the steps up to the door, you knock in hope that Snape would answer.

"Enter!" He bellows.

You open the door, stepping into the circular room. Snape was sat at the claw-footed desk, seemingly concentrating on something.

"I said 8, Miss White. You're early." He said, not even looking at you.

"Better than being late I guess..." you say stepping further inside, you notice Snape was fiddling with something. It appeared to be a gold ring with a black stone, you assumed it was Onyx. "I didn't know you wore jewellery Sir." You smirk. it would of actually suited him, but you knew it wasn't really his...At least, you had never seen him with it before.

Snape exhaled audibly. "Very funny." He said, placing the ring inside the desk drawer. "This ring holds great importance."

"Well...who's the lucky girl?" You ask, before you really thought about what actually came out of your mouth. You choked on your words, Snape raised his eyebrows at you. "I wasn't kidding Sir, for all I know you could already be married!"

"I am...not." He spoke with hostility. "Now is not the time to discuss our personal lives, White." He got up from the desk at the exact moment he said your name which made you jump. Your heart started to beat faster as he walked around the desk and stopped directly in front of you. His towering height over you was apparent.

"This ring is the cause of the fatal curse that resides within the headmaster." Snape says, his face showing the seriousness of the matter.

"That's why he's dying? But..how? How could a ring kill someone? Was it bewitched?" You say, bombarding Snape with questions.

"The ring was a horcrux. I expect you don't know what that-"

"It's an object that someone has hidden a fragment of their soul into, in order to become..."

"Immortal, yes." Snape appeared to be quite shocked as he finished your sentence. "But how did you-"

"Magick Moste Evile, Sir. The Malfoy's had a copy of it in their library, me and Draco used to sneak in there to see if we could set off one of the screaming books." You chuckle. "I guess I just sort of...accidentally discovered it. I'm sure it's probably not reading material for a child, I was only 10." You say, feeling a little pang in your heart as you mention Draco. You couldn't help but miss talking to him. Now, he wouldn't talk to you. Your mind then shifted- "Hang on...to create a horcrux, one must kill..." you say. Whoever does such a thing must be an incredibly evil person, you thought.

"Well...I can imagine you can take a guess at who would do such a thing." Snape says, once again raising one of his eyebrows to muster a quick response.

You knew immediately who would do something as terrible as that. Voldemort.

Snape nodded, having obviously just read your mind.

"Professor Dumbledore attempted to destroy it you see, the Horcrux however was protected, It cursed him."

You nodded back, understanding him. It explained Dumbledore's black, withered-looking hand.

"I've managed to stop the curse from spreading any further, alas it is inevitable that it will kill him...eventually." Snape said, swallowing any emotion. "Have you wondered recently why your hair seems to be changing colour?" His eyes focus on the silvery white strands of hair that are tucked behind your ears.