002 The Interrogation

ابدأ من البداية

"-hideout. When we raided. it was empty. No people, no files, no weapons- nothing, save for five girls sitting calmly in an unlocked room." He leaned forward a bit more, slightly tilting his head. "Tell me, why would members of a criminal organization allow themselves to be caught by the police?"

'Eyes focused on me. Body leaned forward. Hands open and on the table as opposed to earlier, when they were clasped together. Body language shows interest in what I have to say. No sign of being accusatory or judgemental.' I analyzed almost automatically. I was a bit surprised at what I had gotten from him. He was genuinely interested in my reason and wasn't just being sarcastic when he asked the question.

"Maybe we just want a new start together, the five of us." I said slowly. "Even if that meant being in prison for the rest of our lives."

"The worst possible punishment for criminals in this country is the death penalty. You do understand that, right?" He asked.

Eyebrows raised slightly, mouth dropped a bit. Expression of mild surprise.

"I'm not lying." I replied nonchalantly instead of answering. The girls and I were trained to not fear death, and even though we didn't talk to each other while we waited for the police to arrest us, we all knew that it was possible for us to receive capital punishment given the things we had done for our organization, but somehow the thought of dying together and at the same time answering for our sins was less scary than escaping, but then having to live without one of us.

A look of understanding flashed across Captain Bang's face.

"I know." He said softly. "That's exactly what the other girls said as well."

I could feel the tears pricking my eyes, but I wouldn't let them drop.

Captain Bang cleared his throat, his tone turning serious again.

"Look, Aeri-ssi, I'm not going to beat around the bush much longer." He started. "The department has nothing on you and your friends. We have no evidence to arrest you, and aside from finding you in the headquarters of the YG Family that day, we have no proof that you've committed any crime."

Does that mean-

"You and the others are free to leave, if you wish." He stated, watching me intently. I tried my best to maintain my blank expression, but on the inside, my emotions were getting all jumbled up.

Happy. Excited. Scared. Anxious. Worried-

"However, I am asking for your help." He continued. "Help us bring down the YG Family."

There was dead silence in the air as he waited for my response.

"W-what?" I stuttered, not sure that I heard him correctly.

"You know how about the evil things that your organization has done, and considering that you chose to get captured when you could have easily fled leads me to believe that you don't want to be a part of it anymore." He explained, his tone both firm and convincing.

How could he ask that so easily?

Did he even know what he was asking me to do? He was asking me to betray the people who have raised me, the people who have made me into who I am.

He was also asking me to betray the most dangerous organization in the country.

"You do know that this will be a suicide mission, right? No one crosses our family and lives."

"You and I know both that none of you will be safe until the YG Family disappears." He replied, not answering my question. "I can offer you protection. I can help you get immunity. I can help you get a new start."