Part 7- Stay

It was snowing outside, and not the kind of snow that trickles down in an aesthetic drizzle- it was a heavy downpour of powder, covering anything and everything in its wake.

Bella wondered if John was alright, for he hadn't been home in hours. She'd planned to leave shortly after he did, but she ended up staying and working on his house instead.

John's home was in dire need of a woman's touch. There'd been a thick caking of dust over every surface, and dishes cluttering the kitchen sink and counters. Since John had been nothing but generous to her, Bella saw cleaning as an opportunity to show her gratitude.

She heard the front door clang open as she finished up the bathroom, along with an echoing of voices from John and presumably Aunt Mimi.

"Bella? You still here?" John shouted from the foyer as he hung up his coat.

"Yes, I'm in the bathroom!"

"Must've eaten some bad takeaway." John joked to Mimi, who looked less than thrilled.

"Why is she still here?" She asked her nephew, brows creased in a mix of anger and confusion.

"Well not that it's any concern of yours, but I believe she's been cleaning. Look at the place." John pointed out as he scanned the pristine living room.

"Sorry." Bella entered the room with a smile, removing her gloves to place into the sink, "How was tea?"

"Bella, why've you done this?" John questioned as he started to notice how much she did.

"I wanted to repay you, I guess. You've been so helpful in my time of need." She shrugged.

"Time of need? What in the world would a girl your age be going through that would require John's help?" Mimi spoke up through gritted teeth. John and Bella exchanged a look.

"Oh um, my mother passed about a month ago. John's been helping me cope with the loss." Bella smiled at John, who looked mortified at his aunt's candor.

"Goodness..." Mimi muttered under her breath, "You must think I'm awful."

"Quite the contrary, actually. It's sweet how much you care about John. In fact, you remind me a bit of my auntie."

She gave a pitiful half-smirk. It was clear she felt incredibly guilty for lashing out at the girl, but even still- she wasn't the best at apologies, so she hoped Bella didn't expect one.

"The flat looks excellent. Clearly you were raised properly." Mimi stated as her beady eyes scoured the surroundings.

"Thank you. It wasn't much, honestly."

"No Bells, it looks brand new." John spoke gratefully.

Bella smiled at the use of the nickname Bells. He'd only started calling her that recently, but it made her heart bubble up with joy each time it left his lips.

"Well it's the least I could do." She retorted.

"I believe I've overstayed my welcome though, so I better get going."

"In this weather?" Mimi exclaimed, eyes flickering to the raging snowstorm outside of the window.

"Yeah Bella, I can't let you go out on these roads. There's black ice everywhere, it's dangerous."