Part 3- Julia

~John's POV~

"Are you going to be alright?" Bella asks me as we walk over to one of the benches. I can tell she's concerned, as her eyes refuse to stop focusing on my ever-swelling cheek.

"Oh yeah, Don't worry about me. It's not the first time I've been punched in the face, and it probably won't be the last either."

She laughs and tucks her hair behind her ear, glancing over to the chapel where the funeral reception is still going on.

"I really should go back to them."

"Do whatever you have to do." I assure her, not wanting to hold her back in any way.

She smiles sweetly, "Thanks John."

"Of course."

She remains on the bench for a bit, gazing upon the many people who are still gathered in mourning. Eventually she musters the courage to stand up and join them, but not before saying goodbye and apologizing one more time for hitting me- which makes us both laugh.

I watch with desolate eyes as Bella trudges along the thick, dampened grass back to the burial sight of her mother.

How cruel is the universe that it felt the need to steal a life so dear away from this beautiful girl? I wish there was more I could do for her, but for now I must let her be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For being such a grim day, the weather is as pretty as a picture. The sun shines brightly through the blue sky, which is unusual given the fact that it's April.

I don't want to waste it away, so I seize the opportunity to spend more time with mum- soaking in the beauty of the day with her presence near.

As I lay on the grass beside her tomb, scenes from my childhood infuse my weary mind.
Visions of her dancing barefoot down the halls with her effortless grace, Her delicate fingers picking at her banjo strings- singing whatever happened to pop into her head at the moment. She was an entertainer by nature, always quick-witted and exuberant.

I've been told I'm a lot like her, which depending on who you ask could be a good or a bad thing. I've always taken it as a compliment, for I loved her dearly and am honored to share her likeness.

We got on well, me and mum. She understood me in a way only a mother could, and loved me deliriously despite what others may have thought. Sure she had her issues, but don't we all? No human is faultless, and mother was certainly no saint.

If only she were here today I could tell her how perfect she was in my eyes. If only she could lay here beside me wearing one of her dainty cotton dresses- dark hair dripping with lustrous curls sprawled almost whimsically upon the grass. I can picture it perfectly, though it's only a cruel illusion.

Sadness pools in my eyes as my thoughts start to enter a realm I don't wish to cross the threshold of. Flashbacks to that horrid day come seeping in, blackening my previously bright trip to memory lane.

At the same moment, the clouds start to spread and cultivate the sky, taking away the sun with their dismal haze. I watch as they start to produce moisture- and soon a heavy dose of cold, thunderous rain forces me to jump up off of the ground with haste.

"Goddammit." I bark aloud as I pull up my coat, trying to shield my face from the incessant downpour. I look around and spot a wooden awning near the chapel, then start making my way towards the shelter. Once underneath I take a deep breath, slicking my long hair back with laughter.

"You always were a storm, mum." I chuckle and look up, finding a way to make light of the situation- something mum would have done.

After I've regrouped I look over to the parking lot and see Bella holding an umbrella, chatting away with some acquaintances.

She doesn't see me, as she's far too invested in whatever conversation she's having- though I still look on- watching as she gets into a car to leave. I shake my head and cast a gaze over to the bench where we'd conversed earlier in the day, and suddenly I spot her bear laying face down in a puddle- saturated by mud and rain water.

"Cuddlebear!" I mutter under my breath and dash towards him, rescuing the filthy toy from the water. I pick him up and notice straight away that one of his button eyes has fallen out, so immediately I drop to the ground to look for it.

"Come on!" Hands rubbing the thick mud, I use my fingers to dig around until finally I spot it underneath a leaf. I breathe a sigh of relief and tuck it away safely in my pocket, then wipe my hands off on my wool coat.

"Shit." I mumble to myself as I realize that Bella has already left the premises, meaning I can't return the teddy bear today.

Clutching onto the stuffed animal, I know that somehow, some way- I have to find her.