Part 4- Joanna

~The next morning~

After returning from the cemetery I decide to all it a night. I wash and taking care of Cuddlebear, then set him down on my kitchen counter and go straight to bed, eager to get a good nights sleep for I knew that today I'd be making the trek back to Bella.

With fresh eyes I approach the teddy, searching him for any kind of sign that may lead to her. On the back of the bear there's a slightly denigrated tag with handwriting scribbled upon it. Though it's tattered and faded, It's just bold enough that I can make out what it says.

If lost, please return to Joanna Darby at Stamfordham Drive, Liverpool L17

A smile creeps across my face, as if I'm a detective who's just gotten his first lead on a case. I quickly slip on a coat and rush out of the door, anxious to return Cuddlebear to his rightful owner.

~~~~~~~~~~

When I pull up to the house, it's very picturesque- sweet and inviting with a dusting of wild roses covering the green lawn. It's all held in by a black iron gate- which appears to be unlatched already.

I take a deep breath and hold onto the teddy as I walk up to the gate, pushing it gently to enter the porch area. It makes a loud screeching noise, which in hindsight I should have expected- but I shrug it off and take a step inside.

I inhale another breath and close my eyes, stifling my nerves which for some reason are a raging fire. "Why am I so anxious?" I wonder. I'm only here to return her bear, nothing else. Breathe, John. Breathe.

Before I even get a chance to knock on the door, a woman opens it up for me. She looks exhausted, eyes bloodshot from crying.

"Hello, I'm-"

"John Lennon." She nearly drops the coffee mug she's holding, studying my face as if she doesn't believe her eyes.

"Yes." I can't help but chuckle at her reaction.

She stands paralyzed, eyes bulging so largely they look as if they could pop out of their sockets. She looks completely lost.

"Does this house still belong to a Joanna Darby?" I ask, eager to know if the address on the bear is still correct.

"It did, but I'm afraid she's passed on. Why would you be looking for her?"

"Actually it's not her I'm looking for, it's her daughter Bella. I met her yesterday at Allerton Cemetery, and she left this bear behind." I hold it up to show her.

"Cuddlebear! Where on earth did you find him?" She exclaims, hands now cupping her cheeks in relief.

"Poor fella was face down in a puddle. I rescued him in the nick of time."

"Oh Bella will be thrilled! Please, come in." She says, ushering me into the house. It was just as adorable on the inside as it was on the out. I could tell that Joanna was quite the decorator, because everything looked as if it came out of a magazine.

"Can I get you anything? Water, tea, a proper bevvy? I'm sure Joanna's got some gin stored away somewhere." She scours the cabinets.

"I'm fine, thank you." I smile. "You know you never introduced yourself, may I ask what your name is?"

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry. How rude of me! Anne Pashayan, Bella's aunt."

"Pleasure to meet you, Anne. Is Bella here, perchance?"

"Yes, she's upstairs in her bedroom at the mo'. I'll let her know you're here."

"Thank you."

I take the opportunity to look around the house, my eyes instantly darting to a bookshelf in the living room. On the top shelf there's an arrangement of framed pictures, though one stands out above the rest. It's Bella standing against a wooden door, strawberry blonde hair falling softly upon her shoulders. It frames her delicate face, which holds the brightest blue eyes that sparkle with an innocent luster, complimenting her sweet, dimpled smile like a dream.