10. A Babysitting Resumé

Wellington Academy was absolutely spectacular.

The high school premises showcased progressive architecture, white and maroon colours dominating the establishment. Acres of well-trimmed grassy ground encompassed around the buildings—the decomposed granite path leading to the forested area—and a humongous statue stood proudly at some distance. An allegory of sorts. I could also glimpse the sports field, a lavish cafeteria and various other divisions.

The academy campus radiated sophistication. I could see why this was a school for affluent people.

Straying away from the expected fretful thoughts, I reminisced the times when I used to vex Mr Finley by my constant queries.

In my defense, I was young and unaware of his irritation. Though he was never a person meant to be in the teaching profession- too impatient for that. He had passed various rounds of selection, working hard and whatnot-only to get irked by how dispensable he was in my educational endeavours.

Seriously enough, I was willing to trade high school for him. I didn't even need to think twice. Because, at least then, I'd just have to deal with one person instead of so many normal humans swarming the ground outside.

The entire place was buzzing with chaos and conversations.

"You gonna get out of the car in this lifetime or not?" Jayden snapped briskly.

His hand was thrown across the car door on his side while his head dipped down to regard me impassively.

I glanced at the door at my side. His silver beauty of a car seeming more of a bother when I didn't even know how to open the door. I was too preoccupied with the buildings in front of me that I missed out on inspecting how he opened it. I tried tapping on one of the buttons like thing but then the window started rolling down so I ceased the motion.

"Now the princess even wants me to open the door for her?" He grunted out wrily, "What a great honour."

He stalked to my side and effortlessly held the door open from outside. Unclasping my seat belt, I slid out of the comfortable leather seat that had been cradling my weight for the past twenty minutes.

"You may call me Lady Kaia. I don't prefer being called princess."

He stared at me blankly as if I told him that soulmates were a mythical notion.

"How about 'your royal highness?'" I suggested haughtily, raising an arched brow at him.

Looking up at the bright morning sky, he released an aggravated sigh.

His gaze returned to me, eyes narrowed in impatience and lips pressing into a thin line. "Well, are you waiting for me to lift my imaginary hat in greeting or something? Get moving 'cause that's not gonna happen, princess."

I balled my hands into fists, willing myself not to snap at him. His presence was beginning to annoy me. I only held myself back on recalling how benevolent his mother was.

I always hated whenever someone called me princess. Credits went to Aunt Kora for making sure of it, and everyone at Castle was mindful of my dislike for the word so they never referred to me as such. But this guy was beginning to test my patience. Fortunately for him, I didn't happen to possess any powers.

Scurrying behind him, I glared daggers into his skull. He was so tall and fast.

Some people were ogling at me with their jaws hanging open. I soon realised it was Jayden's presence next to mine that had them fraught with anticipation and disbelief. Although most of them had moved inside, only a few people in small groups loitering around.