𝟙𝟠

As she stood there, only the fear in her eyes giving her away, she bravely stepped up toward me, but I could see her body trembling. She wasn't supposed to see this. But better her than any of the royals. I suppose I could just kill her. But something in her eyes told me she wasn't afraid to die. A quality I haven't seen in a long time.

"p-please just hear me out," She said, stepping out into the light. Her eyes looked pained as if she was truly fearing me. This was how the entire population of Elgar used to look at me. It's nothing new. 

"If I do let you go, what's to stop you from spilling everything to the King?" I said, a cold smirk gracing my face. I was expecting her to accept a bribe and go, but she looked up into my eyes.

"I understand where you're coming from," She said, "because I want in"

I stilled. A chuckle escaped me, and then I started laughing, it was too much, I bent over, tears running down my cheeks. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her frown, but it only made me laugh harder. As quickly as it came, the hysteria subsided. I quickly formed a cold mask, dulling my eyes.

"You, a mere maid, want to help me?" I asked. Come to think of it, she would be of much use, gathering intel with all the other maids. She would have good access to all the easy access points. 

"I could do so much as a maid. I think you know that too. But you're afraid to trust me, I get it. But I've been observing you since you got here. You mask your emotions and keep them bottled up. I could tell you aren't from here, especially with the way you walk-" I cut her off.

"What's wrong with the way I walk?" I asked.

She gave me a small smile, "You have too much swagger" She said in an accusing tone. 

I sighed. "you're right," I said.

"About the swagger?" She asked

"No, I mean about trusting other people," I said. "trust...it doesn't come easily to me. I was abandoned on the streets when I was young. I had to escape thieves and gangs, and I had to fend for myself. 'trust no one' was the first thing I learned when I got taken in by the army academy." I said.

Her eyes widened. "But we don't have an army academy," She said. I stayed silent. "You-you're from Elgar!" She exclaimed.

"Shh! Not so loud" I said quickly covering her mouth.

"Yes, I'm from Elgar," I said, "Why are you so keen to help me? What did Krisn ever do to you?" I asked, my curiosity peaking.

She sighed, her eyes cast downward. "Ever since I was young my family was poor. Dirt poor. We barely had enough to eat in a family of five. But we somehow pulled through. It was the children's' job to go out and beg on the streets. One day, I decided to stay longer out on the streets while my siblings went home. When I came back-" She stopped, choking up. I could feel myself feeling sadness and pity for Anne. I rubbed her back, urging her to continue.

"W-when I came back, my home was destroyed, pieces everywhere in shambles. When I crept inside I s-saw 4 bodies, burnt to the point where you couldn't recognize them. When I came out, I saw the army inspecting the area." She looked up at me. "they had burnt cloths" She said.

"That was dosed with fire, thrown at your house" I finished for her. "Why? What do they gain?"

"I don't know. Fewer mouths to feed, or in the way of another statue for our greedy, godforsaken King. I don't know. All I know is that I will get back at them" She said, rage clearly evident in her eyes.

That's when I decided. 

"Anne. Look at me" I said as she lifted her face to look at me.

"You will never have my trust," I tell her as her face falls. "But you will have my protection and help, which is the closest you'll ever get."

"Thank you, Lillith! I promise I won't let you down" She says, giving me a small smile.

"I need to know what the war plans are. So far I haven't been able to get into the war council. I need your help" I asked her.

She looked back with determination. "I know just how," She said, giving me a cold smile.

I smiled back.