𝟡

The men finally decide to pack up camp and set to Krisn. As we pass the bundles of tent cloth to the men, I ready myself to get on Topher's horse, since I usually ride with him. But before I can mount his horse, Alex rides toward me.

"Lillith, you'll be riding with me today", he says. His dark hair is falling over his eyes. Does he own a comb? His green eyes look expectantly toward me.  I'll have to make this hard for him. I smile.

"Why?" I ask him, "I thought I'd be riding with Topher?"

"I need you next to me so I can keep an eye on you," He says with a smirk. Behind him, I catch Ruby's nasty expression, as if she swallowed something foul. I frown and start to mount his horse. But as I'm swinging my other leg over, he grabs me by the waist and sets me in front of him so I'm holding the reins and he's sitting behind me. My skin flutters and burns where his hands have made contact with my waist. After a moment he realizes that he's held me too long and grips the rein, his muscled hand encompassing me.

"Everyone ready?" He calls out, in his calm and commanding tone, I can feel his chest vibrate when he speaks. Focus! We set toward the city. However, throughout the whole ride, I can feel his arms brushing against me, his legs brushing against mine. Innocent brushes that leave a searing touch in its wake. 

"You really had me fooled yesterday," I tell him, trying to make conversation.

"Me fooling you?" He chuckled. "I believe it was you who fooled us."

"I was only protecting my identity, I've been through too much to die now," I say.

"You're not afraid of death" He stated, I can feel his eyes studying me.

"Is that a question or a statement?" I ask him a bit of humor lacing my voice.

"You said you've been through too much to die now. Are you afraid to die because of the pain or what you have to lose?" He asks me.

I ponder over it. "I don't care about the pain. And I have nothing and no one to lose," I say in a deadly calm tone. "So no. I don't fear death."

After what seems like an eternity he replies.

"And I admire that," He says softly, making me smile.

Finally, we get to the kingdom. To my surprise, we walk into the royal castle and bring out horses to the royal stables. Why are we here? I wonder if Alex is the captain of the guard. That would explain why all the staff is bowing to him as we ride in. Alex dismounts first and lends a hand as I dismount mine. I take it as I slip off the horse. I'm startled by the hungry look in his eyes, and suddenly I trip on the saddle and I'm falling down. Alex quickly catches me as he cradles me in his arms, his green eyes wide. But all I can stare is at his mouth, so perfectly shaped. By the time Ruby comes over, we both suddenly snap out of it, as he sets me down and grumbles to himself. Now he's back to being his cold self. Perfect.

We walk into the castle and into the great hall. It is massive, with red curtains framing the stone brick walls. There are four thrones but one is wrapped in a black shroud. The king of Krisn is sitting in the center, his handsomely aged face, looking expectantly at Alex. Before me, there are rows of seating arrangements to the sides, where important-looking counsel and ministers sat. The red carpet that we were walking on, comes to a stop as the men and women behind us began to filter in. Beside the king, a young man, with dark hair, and the same green eyes? He suddenly locks eyes with me, and gives me a warm smile. Alex notices this and glowers at him. Suddenly, Alex, Maxon, and Ruby walk up to the king. Why are they going that far? I thought. Maybe the king favors him? Suddenly a royal scribe hurries behind them as he reads from a paper introducing their arrival. 

"On this joyous occasion where the light of our kingdom has returned, I introduce Sir Maxon Shraeve, Captain of the Guard, Lady Ruby Andrea Sintelin, betrothed to none other than our Prince Alexander Michael Reginald, crown prince, and heir to the throne of the kingdom of Krisn. As he makes his way over to, whom I think is supposed to be his father, my breath stills, the only indication of the information I just heard.

~  ~  ~

but you all probably knew that already...

don't forget to vote & comment