Hunting by Daybreak

Part 2: Azure Moon

Ethereal Moon

Reunion at Dawn

    Five years have passed and much has changed. Freya Larkern stood in the ruins of Garreg Mach Monastery. Today was the day they promised to reunite and only her and Dimitri were together. Things were different. Freya lost count of the amount of lives she had taken and had new scars to prove her hardships.

    At night, she was plagued by those who she killed. Sleep evaded her and she would see her father and sister standing there with their gaunt faces and bloody wounds. They unhinged Freya who would swipe at the air and question her sanity. Dimitri had woken her up from nightmares and acted as her anchor. That bond could ever go so far between the two of them. They craved revenge for their own reasons and decided to stay at Garreg Mach before setting off for Enbarr.

    She had found a new mask giving the 'Grim Reaper' a new identity. This mask was black and simple. Freya Larkern was dead and only the Grim Reaper remained. Her navy blue armour blended in with black. It was tight hugging her torso to allow for swift movements. Her belt connected to the sword sheath and her armoured gloves extended to armour on her shoulders. Her blue thigh high stockings were underneath her tall black boots with blue trimmings.

    "Such a marvellous place has fallen so deeply into ruin," Freya sighed.

    She turned her head seeing Imperial soldiers charging towards her. She let out a deep breath, "What a bore. Do you ever get tired of this?"

    With one swift strike, two soldiers fell in the stairwell. She yawned, "I am the Grim Reaper, reaper of souls. You really think you could cheat death?"

    She impaled the last soldier ignoring the blood that splattered onto her face. She did not flinch and only smiled, "Pathetic."

    Freya took her leave and decided to ascend where Dimitri was and stopped in her tracks.

    "It can't be..." Freya gasped.

    Standing in front of Dimitri was Byleth. It had been five years since she went missing after the Battle of Garreg Mach. She looked no worse for wear and the professor looked at Freya. Freya felt guilty and looked away.

    "Do not look at me with those eyes," Freya said, feeling guilty.

    "I'm glad you are okay," Byleth said to her.

    Freya let out a bitter laugh, "Okay? I am far from okay. I am the only surviving member of a house that was torn apart by war. Their blood is on my hands and I can never wash it off. You best stay away, Professor, I might kill you if you don't."

    She brushed past Byleth and looked to Dimitri, "I'm ready when you are."

Freya followed Dimitri as he led them to a ruined village just outside the monastery. Freya saw the thieves in the distance looting and it made Freya sick. She imagined the remaining families who were helpless against these fiends.

"It smells of blood and sewage. Seems I've found their nest," Dimitri said disgusted.

"What the..." The leader, Pallardó, exclaimed, "Intruders! Protect the goods!"

"Shall we go rat hunting? Don't let a single vermin escape!" Dimitri ordered.

Freya grinned taking out Silverlight, "It would be my honour."

The three of them battled against the bandits and Freya moved as an assassin would. Fierce and deadly. A horde of bandits came at her and she slid past them only to cut them down. She heard footsteps looking up briefly after pushing back a bandit.