Returning Home

Part 1: White Clouds

Harpstring Moon

Birth of a Reaper

Across the war-ravaged land, Freya created a name for herself donning the name, Grim Reaper. Killing became second nature as outskirts of the Empire had whispered about the massacre that occurred and her escape. Edelgard was furious at the death of her father and Mara was rumoured to roam the mountainside seeking his killer, her.

She prayed the Kingdom did not fall to the Empire's control. As she passed the thieves of the Garreg Mach Monastery, she could not hide her surprise at the destruction of the holy place. The once marvellous building was in shambles. She pushed herself to walk past it and continued to make her way to the Kingdom Capital.

She stopped for a brief time at rivers to drink and hunted the local fauna for food. It was nothing like the dining hall, but she made do.

Freya entered the Faerghus borders and onto her family's lands. She frowned seeing the red banner of the Empire. She stepped forward with Silverlight drawn. Time to exterminate the vermin that infested this place, She thought.

The soldiers were no match for the Grim Reaper as she slaughtered them all. Ignoring her bloodied appearance, she entered her home. The items were stolen showing signs of looters. Freya was disgusted by their actions and entered her father's office. She saw a portrait of their family when she was little.

"How fitting," she murmured, "I am the heir of House Larkern. We have been branded traitors and our forces are no more. My, how we have fallen from Grace."

Maybe some managed to evade the Empire and defected to the nobles of the Kingdom. She hoped so hating to kill the soldiers that served her family for generations. She touched her mother's hair clip that was hidden in the room from thieves.

"Mother, I'm sorry," Freya said trembling, "I killed father."

After the death of her father, Freya was plagued by his presence. His eyes were hollow and his voice constantly asked her why. Freya would toss and turn and even at points sob. She started a fire and sat hunched over in a chair thinking about her next move. The lands of House Larkern were free of the Empire forces for now, but she could do little against the countless thieves that raided the territory.

She entered the streets seeing few merchants trying to sell food and weapons. Using the gold her family stored, she purchased food and weapons. They heard of the Grim Reaper, but Freya kept her mask hidden in her pocket as she maneuvered the crowds. No one would recognize her. She was a killer and a threat.

She slung her bow and decided to head out in the night to make up for time. She picked up a pile of flowers and had one last thing to do before leaving.

She placed flowers in front of a gravestone.

"May you rest in peace, mother," she said, "The world we live in is not kind and I am glad you have escaped its grasp."

She was silent, standing there with her sword sheathed. Her brown eyes void of life as she whispered, "I will kill them all and end the Empire for what they have done to our family."

"A monster does not deserve love," a snarling voice said and Freya lifted her head.

Her father stood there with the stab wound over his heart. His eyes filled with rage and Freya gripped Silverlight.

"I am not a monster," she said erratic, "And you are not real."

"You think the prince will take you back? Your friends?"