35 | be the light in the dark of this danger - part ii

Start from the beginning

"He's going to help us," she tiredly explained, lifting her fingers to massage her throbbing temples. "I may have fucked up a bit and didn't burn your letters after receiving them. Peter found them and he demanded to come to this... this thing."

"Yes, well, what the hell are you both going to do?" Peter hotly asked, his blue eyes shifting away from Regulus to look at his sister. "You never answered my question when I asked you back at home. Are you sure you're not in cahoots with Voldemort?"

Regulus flinched at the mention of the Dark Lord's name, but a sneer appeared on his face. "Didn't your sister tell you?" he spat. When Peter suspiciously glanced back at him, he added, "We're going to bring the fucking Dark Lord down."

Peter's eyes grew as wide as saucers. "What?" he cried. His wild eyes landed on Hermione. "Hermione—"

"I'll explain everything to you soon, Peter. I promise," she gruffly said, stepping forward to knock Regulus' pointed wand away. The Slytherin glowered, but Hermione was unfazed. "We really have other things to do and I'd rather we finish this as soon as possible."

She ignored Peter's indignant cry and frowned at Regulus. "Where's your house-elf?" she asked.

Regulus looked hesitant. "Are you really sure it's wise if we bring Kreacher with us?" he tentatively asked. "After his field trip with the Dark Lord... he didn't look too well, Pettigrew. In fact, he looked like he was going to – to die."

Hermione swallowed down her trepidation. "He's the only one who knows where the cave is, Regulus," she reasoned out. "My best friend didn't tell me where exactly the cave was located. He was merely brought there by Dumbledore by Side-Along."

"Best friend? He? You mean Snape?"

"No," Hermione distractedly replied to her bewildered brother.

"Then who—"

"Later, Peter. I promise," she harshly cried, piercing him with a cold glare. "Please. Just – just bloody hell, shut up. I'm going to tell you everything soon. Please, just don't ask any questions and – and go along with everything."

"Well, that's very comforting," he sarcastically spat.

"Just shut up and do what she tells you, Pettigrew," Regulus growled, darkly glaring at the older wizard. "She may be the only one who can get us out alive. So shut your damn trap and follow her lead, yeah?"

Peter didn't appreciate being told off by the Slytherin, but blessedly, he clammed up and moodily glared at his feet. Terrified tears appeared in Hermione's eyes as she reached forward and squeezed his arm in reassurance. "I promise to tell you everything after we've finished this mission," she softly said, voice thick with tears. "Marauder's honour, Petey."

He glanced at her, his mouth drawn into a firm line. He nodded twice to show his agreement.

Hermione gratefully smiled at him. Brushing her tears away, she turned to Regulus once more. "We need Kreacher now," she said.

"Fine, if it's the only way," he sighed. "Kreacher!"

A loud pop instantly filled the abandoned alley. Regulus' personal house-elf appeared beside the Black heir. Despite the darkness blanketing them, Hermione could see that Kreacher looked terrible. He looked ashen and shaky, like he'd gone through hell and back. Seeing that he'd accompanied Voldemort on a horrible task, perhaps that wasn't too farfetched at all.

"M – Master Regulus called for Kreacher?" the wiry house-elf stuttered, glancing curiously at Hermione and the silent Auror.

"Kreacher," Regulus firmly started, "we need you to take us to the cave where Voldemort brought you."