18 | you take more than just my sanity

xviii.

you take more than just my sanity

(One Sweet Love by Sara Bareilles)

__________

June 25, 1977

Hermione luxuriously stretched her arms overhead as she stepped out of Hogwarts castle. The warm, summer breeze blew against her flushed cheeks and she allowed herself to finally relax for the first time this school-year.

Their last OWL exam had just ended and the fifth years were all in a relieved mood. Blessedly, today was also Hogsmeade Day, so they could immediately celebrate in the said town. Hermione had promised to meet Lily and Sev at the Three Broomsticks to celebrate the end of her exams and truthfully, she had missed them so much. Her last few months had been spent in the library with Regulus and her Ravenclaw study partners; Lily and Sev scarcely accompanied her - for unknown reasons - but Hermione didn't seem to mind. She knew they would have only worried themselves sick about her crazy studying, so she had opted to study with the fifth-year students instead.

Hermione's hand climbed to her neck and massaged the knots away. She briefly scanned the Hogwarts grounds in case she saw a familiar face, but most of the students had already gone to Hogsmeade.

"Pettigrew."

She craned her neck and smiled at Regulus, who had casually sauntered beside her. He'd already changed from his impeccable uniform and had donned casual grey robes that brought out the silver of his eyes. He was still terribly overdressed, but Hermione had never really seen him out of such extravagant clothes. She glanced at her own attire – simple Muggle flare jeans and a white, peasant top – and bit back a smile, knowing how uncomfortable Pureblood casual robes could be. The style in this time was weird, but Hermione couldn't deny how comfortable and flowy everything was. She instantly fell in love with flare jeans, since it allowed her legs to breathe. She could still remember the uncomfortable jeans she had to wear during their hunt for the horcruxes.

"How did you do in your OWLs?" he amicably asked, falling into step with Hermione. His head was tilted towards her, but his eyes were staring straight ahead.

Hermione deftly shrugged. "I can't be too sure," she slowly started, "but I think I did well."

A small smirk appeared on the Slytherin's face. "No doubt you'll get all 'O's," he pointed out.

"You can't possibly know that," she retorted back. Though, she did far better in her Defence Against the Dark Arts OWL this year, so he might actually be right.

"Please, humility doesn't suit you, Pettigrew," Regulus said with a small laugh. "With that huge brain of yours, you should be flaunting it and smothering people with inane facts only you apparently know."

Hermione rolled her eyes but wasn't able to stop the corner of her lips from lifting. "I bet you did well yourself," she replied.

"Hmm, we'll see about that," he said, tightly pursing his lips. He was wearing his usual indifferent mask but Hermione could feel his nervousness regarding the results. "Anyway, are you going to Hogsmeade?"

She nodded her head and started to gather her voluminous hair in one hand. It was sweltering hot and she wished she could at least wear short skirts or even shorts in this timeline. But then again, the fashion was still obstinate in the Wizarding World and she would be most likely be frowned at if she showed too much skin.

Hermione once again threw a glance at Regulus' robes and scrunched her nose. "It's ridiculously hot," she said, now tying her hair into a high ponytail. "Why are you even wearing robes?"