Chapter 20

Malawashina stepped into her room with silent steps, closing the door as slowly as she could to prevent its copper hinges from screeching. No sooner did she slide the bolt closed did she, herself, squeak from fright at the voice that confronted her.

"Where have you been?" Utati questioned, her arms crossed across her chest, her gaze miffed.

"I was...uh... strolling through the temple," Malawashina stumbled for an answer, steamy images of the kiss just past filling every crevice of her enamoured mind.

"Till this late?" Utati raised one of her eyebrows in suspicion. "Did you get lost?"

"No, I just..."

"Then what in the name of Kašku were you doing?" The young girl's eyes narrowed in scrutiny. It was not uncommon for the princess to wander off on her 'strolls of enlightenment' as she often eloquently named them, but at such a late hour was unthinkable, even for her.

Flustered at the young woman's tone of voice, Malawashina frowned, "I do not need to answer you, Utati," she went to step by, but the young woman purposely stepped to block her path.

"Stop this, Utati. What I do is my business."

"Yet your mother, the gracious Lady Puduhepa, made me promise never to leave your side for long. I have let you wander off alone far too many times already. She would have my hide and my head if she knew this."

Malawashina sighed at the memory of her beloved mother. The pang of guilt then and the deep longing for her family almost brought her to tears.

"I was with the Pharaoh," she blurted.

Utati's eyes widened. She had not expected such an answer. "With him?" She repeated.

Malawashina tsked at her and frowned. "No, Utati, I was not with him..." Her voice trailed off as once more images of their secret tryst flooded her mind. However, this time they were far more carnal.

Utati did not miss a beat. "But you wished you had been," the corners of her petite mouth curled as she watched her rosy-cheeked charge become dewy-eyed.

"Yes... wait, what, NO!" Malawashina shook her head to rid them of the lewd thoughts that had overtaken her.

Utati covered her mouth with her hands to prevent the urge to burst into laughter.

"Do tell me, Mala, please? You're like an open scroll. I can easily read how enamoured you are."

"Enamoured?" Malawashina repeated, blinking at the prospect. She had never been in love, nor had her servant, so how in the name of the gods could either of them discern the emotion?

"I may not have felt it myself, but I've seen it countless times. We, mere maids, have to be observant of everything and everyone. I know what it looks like," she added, seeing her mistress' scepticism.

"Do you truly think this is love?" Malawashina asked, her heart fluttering once more at the prospect.

"I've seen how you look at him, how dewy-eyed you become, how chatty you can get out of nervousness when you're in his presence. This whole punishment ploy as well... The Queen initiated it because she knows how infatuated you are! She knew he would inevitably vie for your forgiveness, thus eventually bringing you both closer together. She had it all planned from the beginning!"

Malawashina blinked at the notion that Utati was most likely correct in her assumptions.

"She knows..."

"That you are beguiled? Yes." Utati smiled brightly, almost forgetting how sleepy she had been whilst waiting for her mistress to return. "Now come, tell your best friend what you got up to with the green-eyed god." She stretched out across the princess' bed and propped herself onto her elbows in anticipation.