Chapter 19

The entire hall allocated for dining was abuzz when the royal herald announced the arrival of the Princess. Not a single attendee expected her to arrive, for they all assumed she was still unwell. Therefore her presence was a delightful surprise. All stood and greeted her as the familiar Syrian servant led her to her seat beside the Pharaoh.

Before the servant could even reach for it, Ramses pulled the chair for the Princess to be seated. The sparkle in his eyes and the brightness of his smile made her heart melt.

Her rouged cheeks flushed hotly as she raised her gaze to meet his.

How his own heart skipped at her sight! She smiled meekly when she went to take the seat he offered her, straightening her skirts with the palms of her hands.

Lined with gold and silver threads were the hems of her dress, the finest ever made in Hattusa. The inner skirts were layers of light sunflower yellow and cream-white cotton, pleated tightly to hug her frame. In typical Hatti fashion, the outermost layer of fern green was woven with a gold hatchwork design of circles and crosses.

"Princess Malawashina is well! May the gods of Egypt and the gods of Hatti land bless and keep her health forever strong!" The Pharaoh proclaimed to all those gathered.

A great cheer erupted from his proclamation, startling her. Then, eyes wide, she found them met with the amused gaze of the Queen, who was seated adjacent to them. Nefertari smiled warmly at her in reassurance, allowing her to relax somewhat.

"Thank you for gracing us with your presence, Princess," Ramses greeted her quietly as the remaining guests took their seats.

"Well, with that exceptional apology before, how could I have possibly refused?" She answered with equal quiet so others would not overhear their discussion.

He could not hide the boyish excitement that now covered his features, yet he kept his response composed. "I hope her royal Highness understood how sincere it had been."

She looked over the awaiting assembly. "I would have expected nothing less, great King," she answered in her own language.

"If there is anything this meagre King can do to extinguish any remaining anger the Princess feels, all she has to do is speak her will," he responded fluently in the Hatti tongue.

Malawashina did not skip a beat when she answered playfully, "She must comment on how immaculately the Pharaoh can speak the Hatti language, more so than she can speak his own."

Amusement sparkled in his eyes. "Ah, but she should be aware that he is older than she and thus has had a number more years to practice," he grinned down at her.

"She is a little jealous," she grinned in return, their hearts fluttering in unison at their collective gestures. "How old exactly is the Pharaoh of Egypt?"

"He is older than the princess," he teased.

"Well, she is old enough to be wed and bedded," she giggled.

He could not help but blush at her comment. "Well, he is an old mule at twenty-six," grinned Ramses.

Malawashina almost choked on the wine that was then in her mouth.

"Old mule?" She repeated. "I wonder what you will say when you are forty or fifty! "

"I will probably be in my tomb by then!" He answered, laughing.

"How old were you and the Queen when you were married?"

"Thirteen," he responded, amused at her curiosity as he sipped his wine.

She blinked at his answer. "So Amu was right...."

The Pharaoh raised a defined brow at her. "About what, Princess?"