Chapter 33

Encompassed with shadow did the Pharaoh become as the hulking Commander of the Medjay approached from the side.

"Exalted Pharaoh," he began, his voice gruff with the seriousness that laced his tone.

The Pharaoh, his gaze scanning over the frightened palace staff gathering in the courtyard's expanse, nodded with acknowledgment. The Heir Prince, who stood beside his father, stepped back a pace or two, intimidated by the hulk of a man that was his father's bodyguard.

"All of the palace staff have been assembled as ordered, Sire."

"Very well, Taharqa. You have my thanks. Stay near and allow no one to leave until I order it. I know you will keep a keen eye."

"Like a falcon, Your Majesty." The commander confirmed.

"Where do you find such beasts of men?" The Prince asked his father in a hushed tone.

Ramses, still not taking his eyes off the crowd, answered, "From Kush to the south, my son. From there they grow as tall and as wide as the Baobab tree."

"I can see that..." The young man shuddered.

"Watch and learn, my son," his father stated as he stepped forward on the high dais to confront the waiting staff of his palace.

"My loyal subjects," Ramses began, his voice projecting across the courtyard with minimal effort. "You are undoubtedly wondering why you have been pulled from your duties with such haste. I, your Pharaoh, master of Kemet and incarnation of Horus upon the Earth, must inform you that the harmony of Ma'at has been disrupted within these very walls!"

Collective gasps and whispers of confusion and worry echoed through the crowd. Ramses continued to scan them, especially those of the Hittite delegation, watching for any unusual behaviour to stand out like a thorn.

"A disruption which must be quashed and corrected immediately or risk this realm falling into chaos and despair! It is a disruption of which we are all responsible for weeding out."

He continued to watch over them as they began to shift uneasily, their glances darting from one person at their side, to the other and to those around them. The whispers of palace gossip became louder, and accusations began to fly.

"Silence!" Ramses' voice roared over the crowd like the lion that he embodied.

"Keep your petty grievances and gossip to yourselves, for I have not even told you what has occurred!"

The subsequent silence was so still, that one could hear the drop of a strand of hair. Some of the servants immediately threw themselves to the ground in apologetic obeisance, and soon everyone was to follow until the entire courtyard was bowed to their mighty leader in whatever way they were able.

"The maidservant of one of the royal wives was found severely beaten. So grievous are her injuries that her life is now in the hands of the gods, may they show her mercy and grant her their healing. Whoever committed such a heinous act is within these palace walls; Is amongst you!"

Ramses watched on as some raised their heads slightly to look at him and each other with surprise and horror riddled on their faces. 

"Such a crime to occur within these sacred walls is abhorrent and will be severely punished! Thus, I hope every single one of you understands the severity of the matter!"

Though his own expression had remained stern throughout, Amunherkhepershef could not feel but moved by how commanding his father's words were.

"I may be compelled to be more lenient if whoever committed this crime comes forward right here, right now."