Epilogue

Patience Diary S... year 203X, last page.

Dear diary,

I found this old notebook in my dresser drawer during my move... I think I understand why I've kept it, for all these years. It allows me to never forget...

It's been ages since I've written there, at least twenty years... How quickly things change in twenty years. Our little village has turned into a small town, and since you've been gone, Chara, it seems that things have calmed down... No, it wasn't your fault, I promise you that. I just think that the people who hurt you back then realized the impact that violence can have on one's life... and I'm really sorry it all had to fall on you, Chara. That you had to disappear to make it stop.

Dad's old and tired now. Last year Mom sadly passed away, her fragile heart stopped beating in the middle of the night and we could do nothing to save her. I'm all Dad has left now and I promised him that I would always support him, no matter what happens, despite all the tragedies that have happened here.

I became mayor of this city, but you can't say that my work is very tiring, there is almost nothing to do here. I often sit looking out of the window, looking up at that mountain where it all began... I think about you, Chara, and what should never have happened. But it was too late when I realized what I'd done... I could never have caught you up and convinced you to come back while I still could. If only I'd done something, Chara... I could have stopped it...

I'm so mad at myself for not holding you back... I'm so sorry that I didn't tell our parents. I feel responsible for your loss now. I'm so sorry I waited and hoped that you'd come back one day...

I reread this notebook from time to time to remind myself of all the good times we had together when we were just carefree kids. I wish I could have made up for my horrible mistake and saved you while I had the chance... instead, I did much worse and sent you straight to your death... I can't accept that the harassment you went through could have destroyed your life so badly, that I made you leave us that night... "So that our family could be at peace"... that you said...

To you, Chara, who will never read this message... to you, Dad and Mom, who I lied to for so many years... to everyone... I beg your forgiveness.

Chara... I'll always remember your voice that made me feel better on nights when I had nightmares and the lullaby that you always sang...

"Don't forget...

I'm with you in the dark..."