(15)

Her birthday gift the next day are speakers. A set for her bedroom. A set for the living room. An extra set for an unused office that apparently could become hers someday. This is the best birthday she has ever had, even though it's technically past. She's never received gifts before, it almost brought tears to her eyes. Jace slept through her receiving the gifts, which were delivered to her so early she realizes they were hoping she was asleep.

Garrett and Jacob sent their best wishes within the card, Eli and Ann were the ones to 'sneakily' put the boxes on the dining room table. Darcy flicked on the lights to earn an awkward, 'oh... you're supposed to be in bed.'

She had the night of her life, dancing with her friends. Darcy had sobered up by the time they made it home, much to still-drunk Ann and Eli's dismay. But she danced too much to drink enough to stay drunk. Jace may not have danced with her, but he stayed on the dance floor with her for most of the night. Darcy hadn't slept, her body still humming happily.

Darcy looks at herself in the bathroom mirror, curls messy from dancing all night. She throws her hair into a bun so she won't have to deal. Her brown eyes staring back at her are... Different from what she remembers. They're so much more full of light, full of happiness. It's so strange, she never thought she was unhappy before. She finally pulls off the clothes she wore to the club, rinsing her body off in the shower before pulling on a big t-shirt.

Ann hadn't questioned her not sleeping, Eli made some comment about beauty sleep. But she had ignored it, processing the fact she got presents. They must have got those speakers last night, sometime in between their pizza dinner and going to Circuit. Fear ripples through her mind and her head snaps up. Darcy can't recall being scared in the moment. She rubs her temple, the moment fleeting. Then it hits her hard enough the wind is knocked out of her. The panic. The sheer panic rippling through her body. But, that isn't her...

Her feet are moving before she can entirely process it. Moving to the room Jace currently occupied. She hadn't been in the room yet, but she hardly can take it in as she zones in on the man panting in bed, covered in sweat. A dream. He's dreaming... Well, a nightmare.

Half her brain tells her to dump water on him to wake him up, but that's probably not the best idea. She shoves her impulsivity down and crawls onto the bed, gently putting a hand to his bare shoulder.

"Jace? You-" a yelp escapes her, but it's cut off by the hand around her neck. She stares up at Jace, forcing herself to remain calm as he squeezes her throat, cutting off her air. One of her hands went automatically to his wrist, she loosens it, but doesn't let go. Jace's eyes are black and she assumes his wolf has taken over.

Darcy has no idea how to get through to the half crazed, half asleep, and wholly panicking man. So she remains calm, looking up at him. He would never really hurt her, she knew that deep down. She trusts him. His clouded eyes flood with realization and his hand comes off her throat. She breathes through her nose, slowly, not breaking his gaze as he hovers over her.

"It's okay now," she says softly, reaching a hand up to brush his hair, slick with sweat, back from his face. "Only a dream."

Jace's gaze trails to her neck, guilt covering his face. Still half asleep, his emotions just play on his face. She runs her thumb over the crease in his brow, like she will smooth it out.

"I'm sorry," he rasps. His emotions are still trembling through her body. The panic still everywhere, everywhere, closing in. Exactly how she feels herself sometimes. And sometimes when she's like that, all she wants is to be held. Darcy decides to take the gamble, pulling his head down to her chest, holding him. She swipes her fingers through his hair, his ear pressed to her heart, her chin brushing the top of his head.