(10)

Leaving Blaire a few days later hurt. Despite thinking she got off on the wrong foot, Darcy and Blaire bonded very quickly. She would always be there for Blaire, the woman is like a sister she's always wanted. Life knew, Moon Goddess knew, that Darcy never wants someone to go through the same thing she did, and the Moon Goddess sent her Blaire. All so Blaire would not have to go through everything alone, so Darcy could prevent that. It made Darcy somewhat prideful.

The rest of the members of their pack had left before they did. It left Darcy and Jace a lone car on the road. Drives with him aren't so bad. Jace never really does much other than drive. Darcy controls the music and whatever else she does, Jace ignores. Sometimes she'll catch him looking, but she never catches anything in his eyes.

The music blasts through the car, and to her, it is fairly calming. She knows no one generally shares that idea. Loud music just gave her a sense of calm. She hangs out the window as they drive, enjoying the wind in her face. She wonders if one day she'll be able to run in her wolf form and get a similar feeling. If she ever figures out how to shift. In her human form she can run just as fast, something that varied between wolves. Not everyone could come to the same speed as a wolf in human form, it took a lot of training that people often never put in.

"What are you thinking?" Jace's voice almost makes her jump, so unexpected in their normal silence. She pulls herself from the window and turns the music down, looking at him curiously. What a strange thing for them both.

"Angry you can't see for yourself without the pack mind link," she quips. Darcy didn't necessarily mean to say something so impulsive it just sort of slips out. A moment of anger flashes, she can feel it prick at her skin, but he calms saying nothing in response. "Wondering about how a run in wolf form would feel."

"We can run the rest of the way home if you prefer." The offer makes her tilt her head. She guesses everyone could shift at this point in their life, he probably hardly thought what her words really meant. She smiles sadly, looking down at her knees, playing with her hands.

"I can't shift."

The car starts to slow anyways. Darcy blinks for a moment, looking up as the car hits the gravel and then looks over at Jace. What is he doing? His anger seems to waft off him in little pieces. Of course... Of course that makes sense. An Alpha with a mate who can't shift. He must be furious with the Moon Goddess. She can't help but feel ashamed of herself. She hates that. He can probably smell the shame on her and Darcy hasn't felt something like this in a while. Full blown being ashamed of herself.

"Come," Jace says, getting out of the car, leaving it parked on the side of the road. He starts walking into the bush on the side and she watches him for a moment. She doesn't want to follow him, what is he going to do? Make her run in human form home? Not that she can't do that, she's sure she can. He looks back to the car after he's removed his shirt and Darcy takes that as he's really expecting her to follow.

She slides out of the car and starts to follow him. He disappears into the forest before she reaches it. A sad, small breath escapes her. Who knows what Jace wants? Probably nothing good. Darcy turns her gaze upward for a moment, taking a deep breath, before walking into the brush head held high.

The sun shimmers through the leaves, casting beautiful shadows amongst all the green. It takes Darcy's gaze a moment to find where Jace stands as she takes in the beauty of the forest. She loves the forest as much as the next wolf. Jace, however, stands in his wolf form. A beautiful dark coat, like his hair, not quite black, but dark enough to pass as black. Darcy never got close to a werewolf in their wolf form, never allowed before and never able to after leaving the pack. It's a shock to her when Jace pads closer after she stands rock still.