(11)

Two things: One, I have created a Discord in which I would love you guys to join. You can find the link to join on my message board or my bio. I want to be more involved with my readers, so I figured this was a great way to do so.

And two... Just a friendly reminder that commenting any form of 'you need to update' does not help an author update faster and can in fact make them update slower. Please be mindful of your comments! Thank you.

-

Darcy's POV

Darcy works angrily at her gardens. Pulling at new weeds she can swear she pulled out yesterday. Everything pisses her off today. Starting with Jace, of course. They had been skirting around each other for a few days since their... incident the other night. Then he approached her this morning, prompting her for pack trials again. Of course she lost it. Then every little thing kept making her more and more angry, so she decided to work on the garden.

Sun shines on her to create sweat over her back and upper lip. She keeps wiping her wrist over her lip like it'll make it go away. The gardens aren't so hard to care for in her opinion, but the weeds drive her insane. She likes the pristine look of the garden, without the weeds, so every time she saw them she yanked them out. Especially now. It's like free therapy, yanking at the weeds.

Jacob is sitting somewhere in the garden where they can hear each other if needed but not see each other. She knows he's avoiding her, he does not want to suffer her wrath either. Or maybe he doesn't want to smell her sweat. She scrunches her nose at herself.

Not that she hates being sweaty, it happens when she spends so much time training. But today everything annoys her. She runs a hand over her face tiredly before looking towards the sun high in the sky with squinted eyes, the same hand shadowing them. Darcy purses her lips, she's spent hours out here. She came out earlier in the morning, when dew still coated the plants. It's not like she exactly slept after all.

Well, she might as well finish this section of weeding. Then she can go back inside and cool off. Jace is away working anyways. House to herself... Well, not exactly. Jacob still always tails her. She assumes he has to hate missing training with the wolves. The wolves of the pack. The ones she's supposed to be a Luna for. Luna. A shiver runs down her spine.

The idea, to say the least, is daunting. Leading a pack? And leading them the right way no less... She may not have to do it alone, considering she has Jace, but it's so much pressure. What if she does it wrong? How does one even lead a pack? And not fuck it all up, like her father.

An angry breath comes out her nose as her mind goes to a place she often holds back, memories and people she hardly lets herself think about. Her father. Her brother. Her mother. Her old pack. Her old family. If they could even be called that. They were never her family. Only her mom could be considered that, and her mother was dead. Had been for over ten years now. Her mother... She was such a beautiful woman. Kind. The only one who was kind to Darcy, who was ever understanding.

Her mother would never let her father do the things he did after she passed away. Her mother would never let Kierce throw her away like he did. Her brother was too young at the time to do much about it. Way too young to even become Alpha like Jace suggested weeks ago. Did Kierce find someone to replace his too young son? Percival was born right around when Darcy's mother passed. His birth may not have caused her passing, but Percival never got to meet his mother, their mother. Darcy was only nine when her mother passed, nine with a baby brother and a father who hardly paid mind to either. Who abused her verbally, who told her Percival would grow to be the Alpha she could never be, to be less of a disappointment.

One of her biggest regrets however, was leaving her baby brother to Kierce when she left. Maybe she was more or less kicked out of the pack, but she could have brought Percival with her and away from their old-fashioned are wretched man for a father. She rarely let her mind come here, it brought her anxiety and pain. So much pain. Can you ever heal from the darkness someone else inflicts onto you?