Chapter 41

"The plan?" Evound asked, flatly. "You mean to tell me, you didn't have one when you barged into Ghrat's quarters? Tell me, Ollie, did you kill Yano?"

"Who?" I stuttered.

"Yano, the man Ghrat brought to identify you."

Did I kill Yano? Yes, not directly, but yes. His death was my fault, because of me and this stupid ability of mine, he was dead. Bogan would be dead soon too, if he wasn't already. Maybe even Lugh and Alice, and Merda. Maybe we would all die because of me. I remained silent, picking at the splinter of wood on the table. The silence stretched between us and the pulse in Evound's throat beat steadily, a clear indicator of his rising temper.

"No," I said. "Bogan, did. But he did it because of me."

Evound sighed, whether in exasperation or relief I wasn't sure. "I went to see him, to see if I could sneak him out. Get some information. Something."

Evound didn't respond, and I felt the need to explain, to prove that what I was doing had been the right thing. But he didn't seem to care. He was angry—I understood that—but I wanted him to see that I was doing it for the right reasons, that I cared.

"You've placed yourself and Alice in a very precarious situation," Evound finally said. I nodded my agreement.

"Alice has been in trouble before; I don't think she can be shielded from Ghrat if he wishes to retaliate."

"But, you have—" Evound's head snapped up to glare at me.

"I don't have to do anything. I wouldn't even need to consider doing something if you hadn't rushed off to save your friend."

"He's not just my friend, Evound." I heard my voice catch, feeling breathless.

"It doesn't matter what he is; the council is convening now to determine his fate."

"I thought you were questioning if I killed him?" I could feel the panic rising once again.

"He admitted to killing Yano. I thought perhaps he was covering for you."

I shook my head, my voice thick. "No, he was protecting me though. Yano recognized me immediately. He said he knew he'd have to do it eventually."

There was a sharp knock on the door. Evound didn't move from his chair right away, instead calling back to the door.

"The council requests her presence," Dikan's muffled voice responded. Evound sighed again, and rubbed at the spot between his eyes. His chair scraped loudly when he stood from his chair, motioning for me to follow him.

"You are to stick to your story of bringing bread and water to the men."

"But—"

Evound grabbed my chin, his eyes flashing. "You will stick to the story Alice told, or Bogan will not be the only death on your hands. Do you understand?"

"Yes," I whispered. Evound opened the door, and Dikan escorted us down the hallway; the red carpet beneath my feet seeming more and more like the blood of my friends. Alice's scars were on repeat, flashing in mind as we approached the elaborate council room doors.

Dikan knocked on the door and the left side swung open allowing us to enter. The room was deathly silent, except for a severe looking female pacing at the center of the circle speaking. She was dressed in a long, tight black dress that hugged every curve of her body, pooling in a black puddle behind her. The sleeves were laced, curling down her arms and hooking around her fingers.

She spread her arms out wide, calling attention to herself.

"It is just another human life, replaceable for the most part," her voice echoed around the room. "But, he does lead the Javink colony; could that perhaps be worth enough to stay our hand?"

Hope blossomed in my chest as I stood against the wall where Evound positioned me. I kept my lips tightly shut, watching the murmurs of the council. The room was full of spectators today, all sitting sporadically around the room as the council debated Bogan's fate.

There were a few nods from the council as she spoke, but she stopped walking and stared each of the council members full in the face before she spoke again. "But, murder is murder—and why kill the witness if he was not protecting the murderess of our own race?"

The nods were more vigorous now. Each of the women seated at their appropriate seats were murmuring amongst one another, as the woman in the middle let her words sink in deeply.

"That's Yilac," Dikan said out of the side of his mouth. "She's been on the council for over a decade. Anti-human," he added. As if I hadn't gathered that much already. She was smiling now, the severe posture of hers tilting to one side.

"I believe it is time for a vote," Prewta called from her position high on the dais. She stood, her dress glittering with diamonds today as she surveyed the room. "All must vote, none must abstain."

Prewta settled back into her chair and scanned the room. Her eyes found mine, and for a moment it felt as though she were apologizing to me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and clenched and unclenched my hands at my side. She knew they were going to execute him. I knew it too, but I still had that small flame of hope flickering inside me that was begging for the council to show leniency.

"The prisoner," Pretwa called. A set of plain, wooden doors slapped open at the far end of the chambers and two Kryjia soldiers shoved Bogan forward. He was bloody and his clothes were torn as he stumbled forward. His bare feet left bloody footprints behind him. His arms and legs were shackled with thick iron chains. His muscles were straining against their weight as he hobbled forward.

When they reached the center of the circle, the soldiers shoved him forward onto his knees. I felt myself take a step toward him, and Dikan pressed a gentle hand against my shoulder. Yilac, stared at Bogan as if she were examining a particularly disgusting bug before she spun away from him and headed back to her chair. Before she sat, she raised her left hand and called her first vote.

"All in favor of the immediate execution of this murdering slug?"

Hands shot up from around the table, nine of them strong and firm in their decision. Two more raised their hands, showing a bit more restraint of their obvious glee. But the last hand hovered, just above the table, not quite claiming the vote. She had dark, reddish hair--not a common feature amongst the Kryjia. Her eyes, more almond shaped than round shifted her gaze from Yilac, to Bogan. She blinked slowly a few times before she dropped her hand back to the table.

"Was this murder deliberate?" she asked. Yilac stood up, her mouth in a thin line.

"Of course it was," Yilac barked.

"I was speaking to the human," the red-haired female said softly, her eyes never wavering from Yilac's face. Yilac stood her ground a moment longer, before she folded elegantly back into her seat, her eyes a raging storm of controlled fury.

"Deliberate, yes," Bogan choked. He did not lift his gaze to the young girl. She folded her hands in her lap and nodded.

"Malicious? Did you wish to kill this man? Did you enjoy it?"

"No."

"No? What was your purpose of killing then, if not for enjoyment?"

"Self-preservation." Bogan looked up now.

"Ah, I see." She stood, and slowly walked around the tables and approached Bogan. He flinched back uncertain to what her intentions were. I gripped Dikan's arm tightly, uncaring about who saw me. He too seemed riveted to the scene unfolding before us. I glanced quickly to Prewta, her eyes were narrowed and her fingers dug deeply into the arms of her chair, as if she were worried.

"I think you lie," she said. Her voice was soft, and she brushed Bogan's hair from his face. She put a slim finger under his chin and tilted his face up to look her full in the face. "You were protecting someone, weren't you?"

Bogan's mouth thinned and he shook his head. "Only myself."

"Truly?" she asked. "We'll see about that. Bring the girl." Bogan's eyes widened, just slightly, and I could see his chest no longer heaving for breath.