Chapter 34

Once my surprise had worn off I tried to follow Evound but my body just wasn't ready. I lurched awkwardly out of bed and would have crashed to the floor had Dikan not darted in to catch me. He steadied me, letting me lean all my weight against him.

"We have to go," I whispered. The energy was just seeping from me.

"Evound will find her. You and I would only draw, undo attention," he chuckled. I reddened when I realized why. My pale white legs were bare and my body was barely covered by the oversized shirt someone had put me in.

Dikan settled me back in my bed and chivalrously tucked me back in. Vas handed me another glass of water and ruffled my hair.

"Don't worry, sleep." Vas left the room and Dikan took the chair beside my bed.

"You gave us a bit of a scare, Ollie."

"Ha, secret weapons not readily available?" I said, dryly. Even more so than normally, because my throat was actually raw. He just shrugged.

"No, but we do care what happens. You don't need to believe me—you are not just a weapon, Ollie. You are the very hope and dream our people have."

I rubbed my fingers against the fabric of my blanket as we sat in the silence. I felt the pressure of Dikan's hope settle on my shoulders, the same weight Clark had settled there. "Why does Ghrat want to kill Prewta?" I asked.

Dikan leaned back in his chair, his long legs stretching out. He took a moment to compose his thoughts while I picked at an unraveling strand of thread.

"Power is the simplest of answers. But, Ghrat is a purist. He believes Prewta and the council are providing the humans with too many comforts. He believes in crushing the human race like our ancestors wished to do. He is young, stupid—enchanted by the Rasjia's way of life."

"He should visit the mines more often. Humans are suffering there every day. This is like a vacation."

Dikan chuckled. "Yes, but if he were to visit the mines he would have to sacrifice his own comforts."

Dikan was being more vocal today than he had ever been with me. He seemed the one who was most like Bogan, and I wondered if he had a family somewhere. I hadn't seen any Kryjia children here. Dikan sighed and moved as if he were getting up to leave and I desperately did not want to be alone.

"Do you have a family?" I asked, hoping he would settle back in his seat and stay. He grimaced and I wondered if I had asked the wrong question.

"Yes, but I haven't seen them in a long time."

"Why not?"

"I'm a soldier, Ollie. I go where I am told to. For the most part, I follow Prewta on her travels."

"Does that mean you'll be heading north soon for the summer?" He shrugged.

"Possibly. Prewta doesn't always travel north."

"Why not?" Dikan laughed again and stood from his chair.

"You remind of my daughter," he ruffled my hair and headed to the door to his quarters. "Get some rest, Ollie."

He was poised at the door, slowly closing it behind him when I called out. He paused, eyebrow raised in question.

"Please, can you leave it cracked open? I don't want to be left in the dark."

When I woke for the second time, I woke fully. I could easily move my limbs and my head didn't feel full of stuffing. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and poked my head into the other rooms. No one was in there so I dipped my fingers into the washbasin and rubbed my face clean. I dropped the small towel back to the side of the basin and sent a piece of parchment drifting to the ground.

I almost left it there, but there was something written on it. I scooped it up and scanned the note.

Ghrat has brought visitors with him from Javink. When you wake, return to the kitchen immediately for work. Keep your head down and do not draw attention.  -E

I dressed as quickly as I could, slipping my shoes on and heading to the kitchens. I kept my eyes cast downwards and my fingers as limp at my sides as I could. The urge to ball them in fists and hit something as hard as I could was too much. If Ghrat brought visitors from Javink, it would only be important people. There was a significant lump in my throat when I thought it could be Bogan. On one hand, I wished it was—I was surprised by how much I actually missed the man who raised me. But on the other, the more reasonable part of me knew there could be no good reason why Ghrat would bring him here. 

Photocredit: https://creativemarket.com/do2design/21781-Poison-Bottles