1. Oasis City

The desert was vast and empty. Dry winds blew constantly, causing tall sand dunes to drift across miles of open space. The landscape was continually changing through an endless daily cycle of harsh sun and unforgiving night.

Camel trains often lost their bearings as they navigated between small towns and isolated springs. Sometimes the only trace of their passing was a sand blasted, sun bleached bone, protruding mysteriously from the dust.

At the centre of the desert stood a mighty city. Six impressive stone walls surrounded a tall citadel which protruded from the earth like an artificial volcano. During the night, lights shone from the castle which could be seen for miles around, guiding travellers toward safety. Many merchants and pilgrims had been spared a slow and lingering death by the glimmering lamplight shining from its peak.

Sandwiched between the six walls a prosperous sprawling economy of markets, universities and hotels thrived - meeting the needs of visitors and residents alike. This was a city which dripped with power, wealth and the thrill of life.

On this cool night, as the full moon hung above the castle, the streets of the city were throbbing with activity. Flags were unfurled and the main access roads were cleared. Workers in the bright red livery of the citadel were engaged in purposeful work, while businessmen, of both the legal and non-legal kind, made preparations for a promising day.

Children found it difficult to sleep and poked their heads out from balconies so they could watch the action taking place in the streets below. Innkeepers sent their staff out to ply their trade in the open air with trays laden with drinks and food. Jugglers and musicians kept the crowds entertained while they waited for the main event. There was a great deal of energy and anticipation in the city.

Some time soon after midnight a loud trumpet call could be heard from the outer gate on the western edge of the city. The sound was picked up by trumpeters on each of the six walls and soon the whole city was alert. A rumble could be felt through the flagstones and soon people were shouting and pointing excitedly.

Through the outer gate came a grand procession. Eight rows of men on mighty elephants marched into the city holding tall green flags which fluttered in the wind. These were followed by endless lines of soldiers with armour polished to perfection, dancing girls waving long ribbons, wagons laden with expensive goods and mysterious treasures, horses, camels and tigers on short golden leads. There were carts filled with musicians who all played the same theme - a majestic pattern of notes which rang out in harmony through the streets.

At the centre point of the procession were the supply wagons which had fed and watered this multitude on their long journey through the desert. There were several trailers which were little less than mobile palaces, decked with rich fabric and gold paint. After these came a simple chariot on which a short man stood looking out on the crowd with a distant look on his face.

Locals cheered and waved while the grand procession came past. Flower petals were poured from the gates as the visitors passed beneath, and bells rang out from churches and temples. It took two hours for the entire caravan to pass from the outer gate and enter the citadel. It was an impressive sight, designed to generate wonder in the eyes of all who saw it.

As the castle gates closed behind the procession, the trumpets rang out again and the people began to tidy up. A few yawned and headed back to their beds for a couple of hours sleep.

In the outer levels of the citadel the guests were welcomed by stable boys and servants who tended the animals and arranged lodgings for the people.

Amongst the milling throng, the short man stepped down from his chariot and strode across the courtyard with a steady purposeful gait. He had straight dark hair which was swept back in a reverse peak while his angular nose thrust forwards like the prow of a ship. Although he was small in stature he had a firm and strong build. His eyes were dark but brightly intelligent. He glanced around him with an air of inquisitive confidence.

Several servants approached him but he dismissed them with a slight wave of his hand. He already knew his way through the buildings and had no intention of playing any unnecessary games this evening. He passed his cloak to one of his own men and headed off towards the rising bulk of the castle itself.

'Emperor Certaine?' a dignified voice called out.

The man turned at the sound of his name and bowed formally to the Chief Steward who was dressed in long decorative robes and wore a tall hat with gold edging.

'Your chambers are prepared for you, my Lord,' the official continued. 'His excellency has requested that you take time for sleep and refreshment before the council meets.'

'Sleep and refreshment?' the Emperor exclaimed with a sigh. 'I have already spent three weeks crossing the desert in order to be here, and I believe there have been six days of feasting after each party has arrived...'

He sighed as he looked into the steward's steady gaze.

'Very well,' he said in a resigned tone. 'I will accept the hospitality of the house, but it does your master no good to arrange such an elaborate setting.'

He gestured towards the castle with his arm.

'Well, lead on!'

The chief steward bowed and led the short man into the citadel and through several great halls where feasting was in full flow. They climbed a number of staircases and towers as they ascended the sides of the huge building.

At one point they paused in a large open garden with stone walls that protruded outwards in a broad curve. The two men looked out over the city and the Emperor found he actually appreciated the view of the city beneath. The six walls created an impression of depth and the desert could be seen stretching on into the distance under the gentle moonlight. Smoke rose from chimneys and life continued in the many layers of complexity that occupied this impressive space.

'It may be a little much for this occasion,' he said thoughtfully. 'But I can't question the artistry that this city represents. Your master has done well.'

The Chief Steward bowed again.

'Thank you, sir,' he said appreciatively. 'I will ensure that his Excellency is duly informed.'

After another glance across the city, the two men continued their ascent. They soon approached the highest levels where six barrel like towers protruded outwards from the core. Each tower had huge windows from which light poured out into the darkness, making them seem like immense crystal lanterns. The chief steward guided the Emperor up into one of these towers where he was greeted by a large staff who were ready to meet his every need.

The tower contained six floors which opened out into one grand chamber. There was a arched ceiling which met in a point. Rooms and alcoves were built into the inner wall, while the outside was dominated by huge and delicate gothic windows which stretched from floor to ceiling. Exquisitely carved wooden staircases ran between the floors and the furniture was expensive and lavish - much as would be expected of an imperial palace.

A table had been prepared on the lower level and four stewards were stationed nearby with carafes of wine or delicate finger bowls. Food had already been set out on small silver plates and lined up ready to be sampled. There were a range of tiny portions, all carefully and artistically arranged. The short man ate, dismissed the servants and then allowed himself to be guided to the sleeping chamber where he collapsed into a huge bed with deep pillows and red satin sheets.

'Enough,' he sighed before falling asleep.