Chapter 31: Protector

Elian Storm

I pushed Alena against her apartment door, kissing her deeply.

God, I had missed this so much—her slender arms around my neck, her nimble fingers in my hair, her body pressed against mine, her soft lips on mine. I missed her so much it was crazy.

What the hell was I thinking about so much? I loved her more than anyone else. I wanted to be with her. There should have never been any questions or rejections.

I had a talk with my brothers who made me understand that there would always be negatives in life and I shouldn't let that fear of something going wrong to dominate me. Meanwhile, I had let the fear of losing her again take control and pushed her away. All of that was stupid and cowardly.

But I just didn't want to go through that pain again. I never ever wanted to see Alena covered in blood, bruises, and lacerations again. I would literally die if I ever hear her say, "I don't know you! Get the hell away from me!"

I was being selfish. Love in my life meant risk; I always knew that. Yet, I fell in love with her anyway and let her get involved with me.

At least, back then, she didn't know what she was getting into, and now, she did, and yet she wanted to be with me.

Did this woman not care about her own life? Was she crazy?

Then again, maybe I loved her because she was crazy.

"Why are you smiling?" she breathed out in between our kisses.

"Just thinking about how much I love you," I replied and went to kiss the side of her neck.

"I love you too, but we need to stop," she mumbled, her chest heaving for oxygen.

"Stop what?" I asked, too engrossed in feeling her soft skin through my lips.

"As much as I love what we are doing right now, I don't let myself get laid with a man on the first date."

"I'm not planning to come inside, I promise," I said, now kissing her collarbone. I knew what she meant. Anything more than kissing would be too much for her tonight, and I completely understand that. But God, it's so hard to resist her.

"Seriously, how far are you from taking my dress off right here in the public corridor?" she pointed out. She poked her index finger on my chest to get me to move back from her and said, "You, Mr. Storm, need to learn self-control."

"I can control myself very well, okay?" I protested. "It's just been too long, so I just..." I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment but also felt like I had to correct myself, "Anyway, you know, I would never force you into anything—"

She stood on her tiptoes to peck my lips and said, "Trust me, I know."

I was nodding when she took out her apartment keys. "Hey, I didn't notice in the morning, but where's your keychain?" As far as I remembered, she had a customized keychain with her name attached to her apartment keys.

"Oh, this one's my spare one. The one that's always hidden under the neighbor's flowerpot, you know?"

"Why are you using your spare?"

"I probably lost the original one somewhere. I can't find it since Friday," she said and started unlocking the door. I didn't know why, but I didn't get a good feeling about this. "Anyway, goodnight. I will see you tomorrow, then?"

I nodded and kissed her forehead. "See you tomorrow."

"I love you," she murmured.

"Love you too." With that, I finally pulled myself away from her and started making my way toward the elevator while she entered her apartment.