Chapter 20: Perfect Chance

Alena Fleur

Later that night, Elian got a call from Jace that he managed to retrieve all of our files in our laptops and that he was sending them over with Ashton.

When Ashton arrived, he informed, "Guys, I think we discovered who is behind all of it."

"Which company?" Elian asked.

"Not a company. It's a gang. Remember the XS gang?" Ashton asked.

Elian clenched his jaw as he spat out, "Yes, what about it?"

"XS gang leader's son, Xavier, joined the Blacklist gang and took control over it, and now, he's seeking revenge from you."

I was totally lost in the conversation, but I at least wanted to understand a little bit of it, so I asked, "Why does Xavier want revenge from Elian?"

Ashton shot a wary glance at Elian before replying, "Because he annihilated the entire XS gang."

"Why did you do that?" I asked Elian.

His jaw hardened as he spoke, "They started it first. They hurt my—" He closed his eyes as if he was recalling something horrible, and I placed my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. He took a few deep breaths and let out, "Forget about it. That's not important. Ash, give me more details."

"Right. So the Blacklist gang is the one behind it. As you know, they are a big organization, second only to us; they had the resources to buy every worker involved in the military project in the manufacturing facility. They hijacked a few of the weapons trucks on the way to military facilities, where there were no security cameras, while the workers arranged a fake firearms registry which showed the creation of less than required firearms and laid down chemical wastage of making explosives, which were found in the manufacturing facility. Someone from the project team must have exposed the assignment to Blacklist, otherwise, they couldn't have known about the assignment in the first place," Ashton explained.

Someone from my team actually sold out our company. Impossible. I hand-picked them all, basing them on their loyalty. They would never do this. But wait...

"You mean, this never had to do anything with our market competitions?" I asked, baffled.

Ashton nodded and replied, "We thought the same at first, that's why we were busy looking into your competitors and were coming out empty-handed. But when Elian called and asked us to think outside the box, we immediately pinpointed the Blacklist gang."

I looked at Elian in awe, and he just shrugged. He really was trying his best now, and I was proud of him.

Just then, Ashton received a phone call. He talked on it for a few minutes before he grinned and informed, "Elian, we caught the missing firearms trucks red-handed at the Blacklist gang's base. We also found the rest of the chemical wastage of the explosives in their base."

"You don't mean we have been proved innocent, right?" I asked, not totally believing yet.

Elian placed his hand over mine and said, "Yes, Alena. We are free now."

I burst into a grin as I pulled Elian into an excited hug. I could feel Elian smiling as well.

Finally, after so long, we were free. We were not fugitives anymore. We didn't have to wear masks or shades all the time while going out.

"Can I join in the hug too?" Ashton asked.

"No," Elian immediately replied and tightened his hold on me. I giggled when I felt his smile broaden.