Prequel- Chapter 12: Chance Ruined

Elian Storm

"Fucking hell, just get off already," I muttered under my breath, trying to get rid of the stubborn blood stain on my phone case.

It was my favorite one, and yet, in a rush, I made the mistake of picking up Alena's phone while my hands were all bloody. I couldn't ignore it, either, knowing all too well how Alena would scold me.

"Looks like I will just have to order a new exact one—"

Just then, I heard the front door open.

"Shit. I really shouldn't have given my key to her." But what else could I do? It would be suspicious if I didn't, given that we had been dating for one and a half years now.

I threw my bloodied phone case in the dustbin and added a lot of tissues over it before closing the lid, just to be on the safe side.

"Elian? Are you home?" came Alena's voice.

"I'm in the bathroom!" I hollered and took off my shirt that got blood smeared on it. I buried it underneath all my other clothes in the laundry hamper.

I checked myself in the mirror to make sure there wasn't anything else on my body, then I splashed some water on my face to make it seem like I was freshening up.

"Hey," I greeted Alena casually, but she was nowhere in sight.

"I am in here!" Her voice came from the walk-in closet.

My eyes widened as a thought crossed my mind.

Did I shut the locker to my guns?

I rushed inside the closet and found her rifling through my suits and sighed when I glanced at the closed locker.

"Hey, what are you looking for?" I inquired, leaning against the entrance.

"Since my dear boyfriend hasn't decided on what to wear for his graduation party next week, I am doing the honor. Plus, I want to match with you," she said with a big excited smile.

I gave her a half-smile and said, "I really hate to burst your bubble, but I am not attending the graduation party."

On the night of the graduation party, I have a big consignment coming from overseas. I was in charge of the project.

"What?" Alena shrieked. "Why not?"

"I have my younger brother's art exhibition on that day, and I don't want to miss it. He's gonna get real sentimental if I don't go." Sorry for using you, Eltan. "So I am just going to receive my graduation certificate and leave."

Alena's shoulders slumped, a pout forming on her lips. "That's sad. I was so excited for your graduation."

"Sorry, babe." So, so, so sorry. I hate to lie to you so much.

"It's okay, I get it. Family is important, after all."

I nodded with a tight-lipped smile.

She came and gave me a hug, consoling me. My chest tightened because of the guilt chipping away at me.

"You should get changed. I'll be in the living room," she murmured, and I nodded, letting her go.

I ran a hand through my hair, trying to ignore the sting in my heart. I really hated lying to her. But if I told the truth then...

Changing into my sweatpants and t-shirt, I came out of my bedroom to find Alena comfortable on the couch and watching the breaking news.

"What's on the news today?" I asked while grabbing a glass of water from the kitchen.