Chapter 9

"There are some thoughts you can't avoid and some feelings you cant deny."

Angelica

"Earth to Angie." Startled, I could suddenly see a fry dangling in front of my face which caused me to stop spacing out.

"Uh what? Sorry, I wasn't listening" I asked, sitting more properly and tugging my hair back.

Hailey raised her eyebrows
in agreement. "Clearly, you've been staring at your burger for almost 5 minutes, do you have something against the cow or did you turn into a vegetarian without us knowing?"

"Highly unlikely, as I just saw her gobble down a whole plate of chicken wings on her own the other day." Mira quipped.

All of my friends eyes were on me, I suddenly didn't know what to tell them.

"Are you okay? Did something happened?" Allie questioned in concern.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out, I pursed my lips as I though about what to say to them. The truth? Hey, Mr. Wilson just did the craziest thing and I think might be into me, yeah- no.

They all looked at me expectantly. "Its nothing like that, I just have a lot on mind."

"Since when?" Allie raised an eyebrow.

"Uh.."

"By the way Angel, you never got to tell us about your conversation with Mr. Wilson?" Mira questioned.

"Mr. Wilson? What conversation? It was more of a one sided thing and me doing most of the talking, pssh" I waved her off.

Hearing his name made me feel so defensive and I think it was obvious because Allie eyed me suspiciously, this girl was too clever for her own good or I was just a horrible actor.

I know I won't be able to get away with this unless I tell them something more believable, I don't even know why Im not telling them the truth. I just feel like I need to figure this out first before I jump to conclusions, which I already did. I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Its just that talking to Mr. Wilson..brought back some unpleasant memories from the club."

It seemed like they bought it because there expressions then contorted into worry. I tried to convince myself that I wasn't lying, images of me clinging onto Mr. Wilson weren't exactly a pleasant memory but it didn't help the guilt I was feeling from keeping it from them.

"We're really sorry A." Mira apologized followed by Alli and Hailey with regret etched on their faces.

I mentally groaned. Was I a horrible friend? definitely. Im not even entirely sure why Im not telling them, they were my friends! I considered them family.

But this thing, this secret, whatever that was, I just couldn't risk it. How could I explain it to them when I myself doesn't even know what happened? What it meant. Did it mean something to him? Did he do that with all his students? A thought that irritated me but shouldn't.

Its just that for a second there he looked like he cared about way more than he should.Which is all sorts of wrong. Another question is why didn't I push him away?

"She's spacing out again." Hailey observed.

Mira reach for my hand across the table "Look, whatever it is, we're here for you, always."

"Yeah, we are." Alli joined.

"Whoo! Group hug!" Hailey raised her hands.

Before Hailey could stand up, Mira grabbed her hand to stop her.
"Maybe later."