two

PRESENT TIME - Third Person POV

X784 August 11th

(Y/N) had made it to Magnolia, she was tired, stumbling and weary. The scorching sun piercing down onto her skin indicating that it was afternoon. She received many weird stares as she pushed forward through the crowd managing to make it to the guild doors. Her sleepiness and pain did not stop the giant smile from appearing on her face. It looked exactly the same as when she had left however long ago.

In her weak state, the guild doors were heavy but manageable to push open. Natsu who was sitting in the same spot as he was all morning, smelt something familiar. His nose twitched. The scent was mixed in with dirt and sweat. He couldn't manage to pin point what it was.

Guild members turned their heads to see who had walked in. Many did a double take, others didn't take their eyes away. Some thought they were hallucinating from the immense heat of the summer. Natsu didn't bother look up, he wasn't in the mood.

"Hello, everyone." (Y/N) spoke croakily, her voice was almost impossible to hear. She was battered and bruised, her clothes torn in multiple places, hair a mess. Natsu's head immediately snapped up after hearing the voice, all he had to hear was the H in hello. Her legs gave way, collapsing to the ground.

"(Y/N)..." His voice was soft, it cracked as he ran over and caught her right before she could hit the floor. Salty tears leaked from the corner of his eyes, falling onto her cheeks as he held her fainted form in his arms. The entire guild was quiet, not sure of what to make of the situation, and worried for the wellbeing of the (h/c) haired mage in Natsu's arms.

"We need a doctor, right now." Makarov walked forward from his seated position on the bar.

"On it!" Jet sprinted off to get a doctor.

"Natsu, carry her to the infirmary." Natsu couldn't respond to the master, he was lost for words, simply nodding. What had happened to her, for her to end up like this? Why was she gone an entire year? He lifted her up bridal style, taking her to the infirmary. He placed her on one of the beds, and sat next to her, holding her hand and silently crying.

"That's (Y/N)?" Lucy asked worriedly, even without knowing the said female.

"Yes," She looked over to see Erza with tears in her eyes. "That's her."

//

"She'll push through." The doctor told Team Natsu who were standing around her bed. Natsu, himself, hadn't moved nor let go of her hand since placing her where she currently lay; apart from when Erza had to pry him away so the doctor could do what he had to do. "It appears she was very low on magic energy and very dehydrated, if she had used anymore, she would have died." He sighed. "There are also many wounds on her body. Whatever happened, I'm truly surprised she managed to survive." He said as he took down notes onto a piece of paper. "She should wake up later today, if not, tomorrow." Before heading out he turns to face them again. "You have a very strong friend, Fairy Tailers."

Natsu's grip on (Y/N)'s hand grew tighter, his shoulders were shaking, the rest of the team knew he was crying again. But so were they, even Lucy who had not met the (e/c) eyed female before.

"She'll be ok, Natsu." Happy tried to comfort his best buddy, but struggled to speak through his own tears.

"It's my fault." Natsu spoke shakily. "If I had just insisted to go with her on that job, this wouldn't have happened."

"It was nobodies fault." Erza's voice boomed around the room. "We should all just be thankful that she is back and will survive."

"Yes," Gramps walked through the door. "Until you stop blaming yourself, you will not move forward."

"Gramps..." Gray spoke lowly.

"Let the child rest, you can come back in and see her when she is awake. Seeing her like this will only make you feel worse." Gramps tells the team. They all nod leaving one by one.

"I'm not leaving." Natsu looked down to his hand in hers.

"Very well." Gramps left the room.

"You gotta wake up soon (Y/N), I got so much to tell ya." Natsu laid his head down onto the bed, facing towards their intertwined hands. He sighed, even her hand had little bruises. "I'm never letting you go again." He traced his finger along her knuckles gently. "Not without me."

//

The birds chirped as the next morning dawned upon Magnolia. Sun rays shone through the window, shining onto the young, female mage. Her eyes opened slowly, taking their time to get used to the light.

She felt something soft brush against her arm, and a hand in her own. (Y/N) sat up, as much as it pained her. Looking down she saw salmon hair and instantly tears sprang into her eyes. Oh, how she had missed him. How long had it been? She slipped her hand out of his and ran it through his soft locks.

"I missed you so much." She spoke, voice still hoarse from sleep. The said fire mage, stirred at the comforting feeling. Opening his eyes, he looked up into her own. Without saying a thing, he pulled her flush against his chest, ducking his head into the crook of her neck. She felt his tears hit her skin and his sobs echo around the room. (Y/N) lifted her own arms to circle around his waist and her cries were muffled by his vest.

"Where were you?" He managed to speak through the tears. "Why were you gone for so long?"

Memories of her time away flashed through her mind, only causing her to cry harder against his chest. "They locked me up, Natsu." She stuttered through her tears. "They beat me, they stole my magic energy."

"You're ok now." He consoled, rubbing a hand up and down her back. "You're home now." He pulled back from the hug, using his thumbs to wipe her tears. "Who hurt you." Natsu asked after they had both calmed down enough to speak.

"They weren't bandits, Natsu." (Y/N) looked down, fiddling with her fingers that were now placed in her lap. "They were members of a dark guild." His eyes widened and anger coursed through his veins. "There were too many of them, they weren't bandits and there was certainly more than a few of them."

"Which guild?" Natsu asked. His voice coated with fury, eyes narrowed.

"Ironwell." (Y/N) teared up once more just saying the name. Natsu's eyes softened as (Y/N) pulled him back in for an embrace. "I missed you so much." She cried.

"I miss you too, (N/N)." He pet her head gently.

"I managed to beat most of them, but by the time there was only a few left, my energy was depleted." She explained. "I'm sorry."

"Don't say sorry." He said with a stern voice. "They should be the sorry ones." Natsu pulled back to look her in the eyes, hands on both her shoulders. "And they will be, I'm going to make them pay." He growled.

"Yeah!" A new voice was heard from the infirmary entrance. Lucy stood with a fist in the air. "I'm Lucy by the way."

"We'll all make them pay." Gray hit his fist against an open palm.

"No one messes with Fairy Tail, no one hurts my family." Erza clenched her fists.

"Aye!" Happy cheered.

"Everyone..." (Y/N)'s tears streamed down her face once more, these were tears of happiness.

"So what are you waiting for?" Natsu's signature grin fell upon his face. "Hurry up and get better so we can go kick some ass!"