Chapter 18 - The Artifact

"Chevonne! Look at this!"

How could I not wonder at this scenery? The picturesque view drenched in the moonlight was so majestic that it sipped all my worries and fears that were caused by everything on this island. I had never seen such a bright night in my life. Everything was glowing in lavender, and I could clearly see the details of the area: darkness didn't mean anything at all. I squinted and found out that the cocohairs were the ones responsible for the wonderful light display. They looked like those candescent Christmas trees in P-mall that were displayed early in September.

The silence of the waterfalls never bothered me that much ever since knowing about strange powers and whatnot from Chevonne, so anything else that would happen that was not normal, was going to be normal for me. I wouldn't intend to get surprised every time my mind couldn't perceive nor accept things that normal human beings couldn't normally do.

That was because I was also not normal. I had a power. I was a thinker all along.

I'd be a fool not to be a little bit proud of the fact that I possessed a supernatural ability. If I could just show and display it to my friends, I'd brag as much as I'd want to. I was not those superheroes who hid their powers from others and the public, and I couldn't find a reason to hide this from anyone. I mean, if they'd put me on the news, so be it.

Chevonne got to my side and huffed. We walked for almost an hour finding for Lucky Kid, so it was not a wonder to see her like that. But the way she puffed smoky breaths got me blushing. She kinda looked erotic for some reason. I hated myself for thinking this and just averted my gaze, asking in a timid voice, "What do you think is this?"

She inhaled deep and blurted, "I don't know. But I know for certain that this is something a creator has built."

"There are more beasts here. I'd like to see one up—wait, can you see that? There's a building in the middle of the waterfall basin!"

"Where? It's too dark for me to—" here, her eyelids widened, and she inhaled deeply like she was about to shout. But she stopped and exhaled.

"So? Seems like you have an idea now."

"Let's find a way down first. I might know who resides there."

As soon as we found a narrow brook below, she forced to cross it even if there was an easier and much safer way of getting across to the hillside beside the waterfalls. I could see the same expression she had shown when we first heard the fire alarm.

She was worried and in a hurry.

"Come on, Josh. It's only knee-deep."

I rolled my ragged pants up above my knees and dipped my toes first to check how cold the water was.

"My God, Josh. Of all times, you're going to act ladylike now?" she impatiently mocked.

I blushed and sloshed my way through the surprisingly lukewarm water even with the freezing night. She snickered after I caught up to her and we both reached the main facade of the building. I took off my shirt and wrung it dry. I sneaked a peek at the corner of my eyes if she would do the same. Of course, she didn't, and wouldn't.

After wearing my shirt back, I had noticed that the door was not a door at all. There was no way to go into the building. The whole front of the hotel was covered with mossy bricks and same antediluvian-ish vines that we had seen at the clone school here, slithering through the cracks and the soil beneath. Dark clouds covered the moon, taking the only source of light we had ever since our cellphones ran out of batteries, and it started to drizzle.

"Hey, what are we supposed to do? There's no way in!" I shouted over the drizzle that was becoming a noisy downpour.

"I reckon there's a beast here that will open the way. I just don't know what specifically," she said after approaching me for her to be heard clearly.