Chapter 9 - The Edifice

This might be some kind of mistake. Or a dream.

The behemoth just five meters ahead of us—the one we found unrealistic—was a dilapidated edifice stretching from one side of the woods to the other. We couldn't see the other end as it was heavily enshrouded with coconut-looking trees—which we all agreed to call "cocohair trees"—from the windows and cracks, but memory-wise, we might know how massive it was.

The cry that we heard—and still going on—was of a fire alarm. It was still functional and noisy despite the stature of the building.

I was about to tell everyone to be cautious with it when Chevonne, again, sprinted toward the main facade, entering through the wide-open main entrance. Shards of glass littered the threshold where glass doors should have been. We followed suit to avoid losing sight of her.

The sound finally ceased. She might have turned it off already.

We tiptoed our way in awe as we entered the main gate—ironically, without the gates themselves—and proceeded through the main entrance with caution. We examined each run-down furniture and ceiling with ancient-looking cobwebs and vines that slithered their way through the cracks and holes of the walls, which were covered by some antediluvian-ish niter. Each step we took elicited a cloud of dust and pollen that were then mixed in the air. A pungent smell smeared the atmosphere, crinkling our noses as we try to verify the facts about this farce.

I believed everything here was a farce.

"Chevonne! Where are you going!" I shouted up the main staircase where we last saw her went through, which was almost crumbling.

"I'm going to check something upstairs."

"Be careful with your steps. I think those stairs might give way with your weight," I replied without thinking, immediately regretting it. "No, um, that's not what I mea—"

"Is that your way of calling me fat?" Chevonne screamed back with her head sticking out from the small gap between the U-shaped staircase. She was already up on the third floor.

"No, just as what I'm about to tell you, that's not what I meant! I'm telling you that this building is old-enough to crumble any minute from now!"

"I'll be back in a minute. Don't worry about me. I know the way."

"Yes, of course, all of us here know the way if this is what I think it is! Just be cautious!"

"Stop with your whining! I told you, I'll be back in a minute!" she screamed with much effort and louder than earlier, pulling her head in. Were we fighting? I knew I should be worried about it because our friendship was in the line, but I couldn't just help thinking that we kind of looked like a couple that was having an argument.

"No, just... We'll be there, so wait for us," I weakly responded, which I doubted had reached her.

No reply. Damn. She might have gone to the next floor already.

Finlay popped out of nowhere, holding something that looked like a human bone. "Cher, is this real?"

I snatched it away from him and scrutinized the structure. I couldn't tell if it was authentic. Chevonne could lend us a hand here if she only didn't hurriedly go up the stairs.

That woman.

Well, I couldn't afford to get mad at that new attitude she had shown. It was the other side of her, being cute and all.

"Where did you find it?" I asked.

"There, near the elevator. Lots of them inside and a handful of dust around."

Stranded in Thoughtsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें