"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, totally."

"Wow, um, okay thank you. Although I'd prefer if you didn't by me a stupid dress," I joked and he chuckled.

"I just got back a few minutes ago, I'll come pick you up now?" He asked, and I eyed my Mac and cheese. I can do it.

"Yup, okay see you in 10!" I said and hung up, immediately shoving my Mac and cheese in my mouth and jogging to my room. I was surprised at how well I was able to change into cuter clothing while still eating the Mac and cheese.

Once I finished my (delicious) lunch I quickly fixed my face, combed out my hair, and brushed my teeth. Wow, I thought, that was Olympic timing.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the doorbell. I double checked to make sure Jake was still at his friends house, in case he had slipped back in somehow without me noticing, and then opened the door. I noticed Eli's eyes quickly take in my appearance before his gaze met mine.

"Hey," he said as I walked out of the door.

"Hey," I responded, feeling a little awkward. And I hated it. I was never awkward, and I mean NEVER awkward.

"You good to go?" He asked, and I nodded with a smile as we walked to the car he drove here- I'm guessing it was his parents' or something.

"So where are we going?" I asked when we got back in the car, shaking off any weird awkwardness I had randomly succumb to.

"The mall I guess?" He suggested.

"Yeah, sure," I said and he backed out of the driveway. "So like, how nice are we talking?"

"Oh, the whole shebang- just a step below prom," he replied.

"Damn, that's fancy," I said.

"Yeah, I hate these stupid things.. I've been to so many and each time I feel like I age 10 years.." he added.

"Yeah, well, it's nice that you're able to go.. I mean not everyone can afford to go to these things and be involved in this sort of environment," I offered up, and he shrugged.

"I mean don't get me wrong I'm grateful for what I have and obviously I'm privileged.. I just, like," he looked at me and then back at the road, "growing up my parents would only talk to each other about business moves or event planning.. I don't think I've ever even heard them say they love each other.. and every time we have family events it feels like I'm with a bunch of uptight, judgmental strangers.. and yeah we're lucky to have money but.. it's just so goddamn lonely and empty. I'd honestly give it all up for just one person who brings actual love into my life, because no matter how rich you and your family are, you'll always be broke without it, and I'm the only one in my family that understands that," he vented, and I took it all in.

I wasn't really expecting him to vent like that, but I was happy he did. I could tell he never really talked to anyone like this.

"Well, if you find the right person then you wouldn't need to give it all up for them.. they'd love you for all of you. You're not your family, Eli," I told him as we stopped at a red light. He looked over to meet my gaze and my heart legitimately stopped in my chest. I felt like I could look at him forever, and yes, I mean that in the cheesiest way possible- sue me.