Chapter 2 - Halloween

Start from the beginning

"Come here, sweetheart" said Casandra, getting down on her knees with her arms outstretched and thereby wresting herself from Snape's tight grip. She looked up to Snape. "Are you ready love?" and Snape nodded quietly. "Ok, let's go then" murmured Casandra whilst getting up and reaching out for her daughter's hand. "Audrey, you may come with us for a while, but you have to promise that you'll go with Poppy without any tantrum when I say you have to go to bed, alright?" Audrey nodded silently and took her mother's hand.

To Casandra's surprise, Audrey actually didn't have a tantrum. When she was gone, Casandra turned to Snape and whispered in his ear. "Severus, I've got to tell you something" Snape's eyes glowed as he turned around, facing his wife. Probably because he was expecting Casandra to continue from where they were interrupted. He was definitely hoping for some dirty talk. Still, he was disabused and disappointed. "Where is Quirrell? Have you seen him? Because I saw him this morning—" but Casandra was interrupted as the door suddenly burst open and  - speaking of the devil - Quirrell ran into the hall.

"TROLL IN THE DUNGEONS!" he screamed, running up to the teacher's table. "Troll, in the dungeons – thought you ought to know" he panted, collapsing in front of Dumbledore's place.

The Great Hall was immediately filled with screams. It was a turmoil. Casandra and Snape looked at each other. Her eyes filled with panic. "Audrey" she gasped, grabbing Snape's wrist tightly. Their interaction was intermitted when Dumbledore raised his voice. "SILENCE!" he shouted, and several purple firecrackers erupted from his wand. When there was eventually silence, he added "Prefects, lead your houses back to their dormitories. Teachers, you will join Professor McGonagall and go to the dungeons immediately"

Snape's eyes – which were filled with panic too – darted nervously around the Great Hall.

"I have to go and watch out for the philosopher's stone! This is a trick!" he whispered in Casandra's ear before shouting "Go, go with Minerva and look for Audrey!" whilst leaving the hall

Casandra rushed upon McGonagall. "Minerva, I have to look for Audrey! She's in our private room with Poppy!" McGonagall nodded and off they went. Casandra had the impression that she had never run this fast in her whole life before. It felt as if she was running for her life. As they had reached Snape's and Casandra's room, Casandra stopped dead. "I'll be with you in no time!" she shouted and burst into their little flat.

"Poppy!" she shouted at Madam Pomfrey who sat on the sofa in front of the fireplace. "Casandra. What is it? Careful, you're waking Audrey up!" noted Madam Pomfrey to calm Casandra down. "We don't have time for this! We have to get Audrey and you out of here. Immediately! Apparently, there's a troll in the dungeons!" screamed Casandra and ran towards Audrey's chamber. She came back a few seconds later, carrying a sleepy Audrey in her arms. "Here!" commanded Casandra and handed Audrey over to Madam Pomfrey. "Get out of here! We'll let you know when it's safe again!"

They went out of their private area. Madam Pomfrey went up the stairs, out of the dungeons, and Casandra was about to join the other teachers when she heard footsteps and a hand grabbed her shoulder. She turned around in shock, her wand at the ready. "Oh Merlin's beard, Severus" said Casandra, gasping for air. However, Snape wasn't alone. He was accompanied by Quirrell. Casandra looked from her husband to her colleague in confusion. Something must have happened, given her husband's livid look. With a massive shock, Casandra noticed Snape's leg. It was bleeding heavily. "Severus, darling. What ha—" but Snape raised his hands to calm her. "Not now" he hissed "The troll is apparently at the girls' bathroom. Come on!"

They met Professor McGonagall at the top of the stairs and made their way hastily to the girls' bathroom. They had almost reached the end of the hallway, when they saw dust and heard noise coming from the bathroom. It was a picture of pure destruction. To their greatest shock,  they saw Harry, Ron and Hermione standing next to an unconscious troll. Casandra's mouth fell open in shock. She moved closer to Snape – who was giving Harry a dirty and piercing look – and took his hand.

It was Professor McGonagall who spoke first

It was Professor McGonagall who spoke first. "What were you thinking of? Handling a full-grown troll all by yourselves? Luckily you weren't killed!" she shouted.

Then, out of nowhere, came a silent and soft voice. It was Hermione. Casandra eyed her closely. "It was me, Professor McGonagall. Harry and Ron were just looking for me. I thought I could handle the troll on my own..." Wait what? thought Casandra. Hermione was actually taking the blame? She did something against the rules? No way, thought Casandra.

"Well, in that case...5 points from Gryffindor and that means detention—" Casandra was too curious. It was as if the words just kept falling out of her mouth. "—Minerva, if I may suggest. I would like Miss Granger to spend her detention with me. I could need some help with my bookshelves" interrupted Casandra. McGonagall looked at her in confusion but evtualley shook her head as if she was pulling herself out of a trance. "Very well. Miss Granger, you'll have detention with Professor Snape" she stated angrily. As everyone looked at her quite puzzled, she added "The female one, of course,  and now off to your dormitory, Miss Granger you silly girl!" Casandra took the chance. "I'll accompany her" she cried and commanded Hermione out of the bathroom by waving her over.

When Casandra had brought Hermione safely back to her common room, she said "Hermione, we'll talk about that. You'll have your detention after the Quidditch match. Now, off to bed with you!"

She had fetched Audrey from Madam Pomfrey and just put her back to bed, when Snape entered their bedroom. He was limping. "Blimey! Severus! What happened? You have to see Poppy!" cried Casandra in shock, smacking her hands on her mouth. "No!" panted Snape painfully "Nobody can know. Can you mix me one potion against the pain and one against the infection, please?" he asked, laying down on the bed. "Of course!" gasped Casandra, running to their potions box. When she had given Snape the potions, she asked him "Love, would you please tell me what happened?" "It's Quirrell" breathed Snape, leaning his head back in pain "we cannot trust him!"