Chapter Three

Emilio Estevez as Mr. Zonde

*******

[Anne, 06:30, Edmonton]

I woke up to a loud bonging noise throughout the house. Literally. 

“Wake up sleepy heads!” Mr. Zonde, the head of the Canadian-American mafia and Catherine’s dad, yelled. I hadn’t wanted to wake up since I had stayed up until two-thirty in the morning. I had wanted to go to bed as soon as we had entered the house, but Mr. Zonde had stopped us. He told us that we had caused a province wide panic by blowing up that plane so close to a town in Alaska. The British Columbia province shut down all their airports along with the state of Alaska. He told us that we would have to keep away from planes for the next while. That was perfect for me. I was extremely sore all over my body from the fall. 

I looked at the clock on my nightstand beside my bed. It said six thirty. I sighed but knew that I needed to get up for school. Education was important to me and being late on the first day was not a good way to start the year. The only thing I didn’t like about this was that I had to keep an eye out in school for anything suspicious. Apparently, there was a threat to the Mayor of Edmonton. Mr. Zonde followed the threat to this part of Edmonton and we had to follow. We were looking for the person who sent the threat, afraid that they might assassinate the Mayor. Mr. Zonde made sure that he had spies all over the town. That included both Catherine and I. I was sent to a school close to the location that the threat came from, and Catherine was to be sent around town and so she could get some information from the locals of this part of Edmonton. At least I got to continue in school and finish my education. Although, I would be undercover as Abigail Rail.

I quickly rolled out of bed. The clothes I was going to wear today were set out yesterday before going to Alaska. A pair of blue jeans and a plain orange T-shirt that matched my hair and brought out my blue eyes were the clothes I had set out. It was covered up with a navy blue sweatshirt. I put them on and stumbled out of my bedroom into the hallway. 

“Is Catherine awake yet?” Mr. Zonde called up to me from downstairs. I entered the bathroom but before I closed the door, I called back down to Mr. Zonde.

“No,” and shut the door behind me. 

As I was brushing my teeth, I heard the stomping of feet from Mr. Zonde. “Catherine! Get up this instant or I will pour ice cold water all over you!” Knowing Mr. Zonde, he would do it and knowing Catherine, she would do anything to stop from being cold. 

Three… Two… One…

The door of Catherine’s room slammed open. “I’m up! I’m up!” Catherine yelled. Then her voice softened in volume. “Why do I have to be up at this time anyways? It’s only Anne going to school.” 

I chuckled even though I still had the toothbrush in my mouth. I spit and gargled some water. 

“You have to go around here and talk to some people.” 

“You’re lucky I’m not shy.” Catherine sighed. I exited the bathroom after untangling my bed head and placing it in my usual ponytail. Catherine was waiting outside the bathroom door. She was drooping with exhaustion. She almost disliked waking up early as much as she disliked the cold. Almost. 

“Hey Catherine!” I said as cheerfully as I could. She just grumbled and slammed the door of the bathroom. I didn’t take any offence to it though. Catherine was just Catherine. 

I went downstairs to grab some breakfast. Cereal and milk. As usual. Afterwards, I made a peanut butter and nutella sandwich for lunch. As usual. I was fine with usual though.