Chapter 39 - Answers

NOAH

Jordan's silence has me more anxious than ever. The last two weeks have been rough for us both. A few days before Christmas, I got a call from the social services worker of Jordan's case. I didn't think much of it as we had been communicating often on his progress and the process for getting his custody. Her call came with unfortunate news and I never imagined it would be the beginning of emotional turmoil.

Nolan Key had been diagnosed with colon cancer in November and had been receiving treatments without success. The doctors decided to stop the treatment and he was moved to hospice care outside prison. I asked her if I should tell Jordan, and she left the decision to me. Jordan has been going through several emotional stages since he moved in with me and I'm glad we are receiving help, because it hasn't been easy at times. The mere mention of his father sends him either into rage or he shuts down completely.

In need of answers, I decided to pay Nolan a visit at the hospice home. I needed to understand why he didn't bother to contact Jordan during all this time. Did he even care where he was or with whom? A nurse kindly escorted me to his bedroom and I was surprised at the state I found him in. Nolan was a troublemaker when we were in school, but didn't lack interest from the girls because of his good looks. The man in front of me was just the shadow of his past.

"Good morning, Nolan. I don't know if you remember me..." I said as I approached his bed.

"Noah Tanner... My first and only visitor... Why you?"

His words confused me, but I decided to go ahead with the purpose of my visit.

"I'm here to let you know that I have Jordan's custody."

"Good. Keep him. I will be dead soon. I didn't need him then and certainly don't need him now."

"That can't be right Nolan. Wouldn't you like to see him again? He is your son, your blood. You must feel affection for him or miss him."

Nolan just gave me a crooked smile and shook his head.

"You don't know a shit. Do you?" 

"Know what? What do you mean?"

"Your daddy, Jonathan Tanner, made more than one kid. Well, he cheated on his wife when they were about to get married and had a kid with the other woman that he didn't give a shit about. Didn't even recognize him or gave him his last name. After he got married, he had another kid. That one did get his last name but wasn't wanted either."

At first, I thought he was trying to wind me up with a lie. Until I stared at Nolan up close and saw my same eyes, nose, and hair color. The same way that Jordan looks.

"So... Little brother... What makes you think that I feel anything for Jordan? Our dad didn't care about us."

I started hearing a ringing in my ears and I thought I would pass out. Nolan Key could be my brother and Jordan my nephew. In a town like Lonstino, so full of gossip, I don't know why this information never got to me. Did my parents know? Who else knows?

"If what you say is true and we are related, why did you never contact me? We were in the same school for fuck's sake! We saw each other every day! If you didn't want to take care of Jordan, I could have done it and spare him from the miserable life you gave him."

"Why do you care so much about him?" He asked while sporting a cynical smirk.

"Because I know how he feels about being your son, because it is the same life Jonathan Tanner gave me. Abuse and negligence! But I'm better than my father and I will never do that to my children. Jordan came to me under unusual circumstances. I took him in and don't regret it one bit. I've grown to love him as my own and it makes me so proud that he's smart, loving, helpful and a hard worker. He even got his first girlfriend. It makes me happy that I get to be part of his life and his experiences. If you would have taken the opportunity to care, love and help him, you would have seen for yourself what an amazing kid he is."