Chapter 34

Zach P.O.V.

I heard a faint beeping in the background, sounding at an even pace. I try to open my eyes but they feel like they're glued shut. Pain shot through my left arm and I held back my scream of pain. I forced my eyes open but everything was blurry. Once my eyes adjusted, I noticed I was in a hospital bed, with drips attached to my non-wounded arm. I tried to lift my left arm to take them off but the pain was unbearable. I ended up ripping them off using my teeth.

Then a thought emerged in my mind.

What happened to Krista and Liam?

"Hey!" I screamed out, trying to get the attention of someone who can help. A young lady, about my age, walked into the room. She was in a nurses uniform that looked much too fitted to be modest but she was gorgeous. "Hello Zach." She purred as she sat on the edge of my bed. "Do you need help jogging your memory?" She smiled. At the beginning of the year, I would've enjoyed this.

Not any more.

"No, my memory is fine. But I need to know about the other two patients that came in with me." I ordered. She came and sat on my lap, I think there is some rule about personal space for the patient when you're a nurse. "Well, the boy is okay, just has a bad wound. But I can't say for the girl. I think she died. I don't know, I was too worried about you." She said seductively. I looked at her to see if she was joking. "Sh-she's dead?" I asked weakly. She shrugged her shoulders. "Heard it off a nurse who was looking after her. Why do you care so much about her?" This girl sounds like Liam. "I just do. I need to go see her." I urged her and she rolled her eyes.

"Sure baby."

"Aha. Just get me there."

I sat up on the edge of the bed once the girl got off me. "My name's Amy by the way." She introduced herself. "Well you already know my name and probably more then that." I said slightly annoyed. I looked down at what I was wearing, a hospital gown. "Can you get me my clothes?" I asked Amy. She turned around and opened a cupboard and my dirty clothes were folded neatly.

She helped me put them on awkwardly, I can't exactly use my arm yet. Once I was clothed, she lead me out of my hospital room and down the hallway. Down to the emergency rooms. There I saw only one patient, laying delicately on a low hospital table, in her bloodstained clothes. She looked like she was sleeping. I ran over to her, pushing past doctors, even at there refusal. I had to see her wake up. I had to see her smile again. I had to see her electrifying eyes looking at me. I grabbed her hand and tried to feel a pulse.

All I felt was coldness.

"Zachary, I'm sorry, we couldn't revive her. She was badly hurt. I'm afraid she's dead." A doctor informed me.

'I'm afraid she's dead.'

The phrase circled in my head, refusing to stop. I dropped to my knees as I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. I started screaming out her name. Hoping she might hear me and wake up. I cried my heart out over hers. All I could smell was blood. It was sickening but I couldn't leave her.

"Wake up Krista, please." I sobbed into her chest. Doctors started to pull me off her but I resisted. I then had an idea. "I know how to save her!" I yelled out. They looked at me like I was crazy. I got them off me and I grabbed Krista's hands and placed them over her heart. Her powers must still be working. But they weren't. The doctors came around again and grabbed me tighter.

"We'll let you see her tomorrow when her body will be cremated. Now go rest Zachary." I resisted once more and before I knew it, I felt a needle stuck in my arm and I dropped to the ground, limp.

-------

A flash of light.

A scream.

Fire.