Chapter 6

I shared a look at Becky; it must be time for me to go to this meeting. "Will you be okay here by yourself?" I asked worried. She gave me a closed smile, "I've had to deal with those girls for about five years now, I'll be fine." She reassured me as I headed to the door. I was about to open it myself before Matt opened the door and walked inside. "I was getting worried, you didn't open the door." I laughed at his excuse for him to come in. "yeah, sure it wasn't to come in and stare at the girls." I joked. Matt went a light shade of pink on his fair skin. "I would never do that, I'm not that kind of guy," he flirted. "Let's go."

We walked down the tunnel which the lights are significantly darker. Matt noticed me looking at the lights. "7 is like the curfew around here. It's dangerous being out later than that." I didn't ask how it was dangerous; I actually want to feel safe at night down here. We reached number 24 and Matt opened the door and gestured me inside. I thanked him politely.

Hilary and John were already here, also a few other people, a little older than me. They were arguing around the table, Hilary right in the middle of that argument. "Quiet!" Called out Matt as we joined everyone around the table. I really wanted to slink out of the room, too many people for my comfort. "Meetings started!" Yelled out John. Everyone sat down in the seats and I slumped down in my own. "Let's discuss the plan."

I tuned in and out of the conversation a lot, daydreaming and also looking for an escape plan if it is needed. That's kind of a habit I've developed when running away from the Enfirma. The plans of this heist did interest me, a lot. I made sure I was very attentive. John was telling the plans in a hushed voice, like someone was listening in to this conversation.

"These are the final plans, no ifs or buts. In a few days time, I have decided on a group of highly skilled personnel to perform this heist. The piece of machinery we are looking for is called the Fortum. It is heavily guarded in the capital city, Notiet. It is located underground in a laboratory. We only have our weapons with us so getting past the guards will be physical labour. After that, we have to find our way to the laboratory. From there, we get the Fortum and run. It may seem simple but it'll be a very difficult task, we may lose lives that day."

This made me think to myself, am I willing to risk my life for a city I didn't even know about? ....Definitely.

John started calling out a list of names for the heist, mine being first on the list. Three names came after that, Hilary, Matt and a guy, about Matt's age called Emet. I looked over at Emet and he looked like a complete geek. He had dark, curly hair and dark eyes to match that. To top it off, big, black, buckly glasses sat on the bridge of his nose that he kept having to push up. He was staring down at a electronic tablet working away at hacks. I don't exactly know how he'll help but only time will tell. The meeting finished soon after.

"I'll come by your door at 5am tomorrow for training." Matt whispered in my ear and I groaned a little too loudly. I already lack sleep, do you need to take my few, precious hours away from me? He smiled as he slapped my back playfully. "See you then," he added as he left the room. I sighed and rolled my eyes. I felt a tap on my back and I turned around really quickly. It was Emet. "Nice to meet you," he said with his hand out. I took it and shook his hand. "I guess we'll be seeing more of each other, Miss Krista." He added as he walked away. Even by the way he talked, he was definitely a geek. I walked out of the room and to my quarters where everyone was already sleeping. I jumped into bed after I took my hiking boots off, they will never take those off me. I fell asleep in my clothes, as I usually do.

It was a little easier to fall asleep tonight, before my nightmare replayed in my head...

-------

Teaser for chapter 7: A major character will be introduced and a little about his evil plan...

Thx for reading. To the right is George Clooney, the actor who would play John.

HT12