Chapter 14

I heard the door open. I had one of the best sleeps in a long time but there is still an hour before the bell goes to wake everyone up. I sat up in bed to see who opened the door.

"Bye babe."

"Couldn't you stay longer?"

A female voice and playboy Zach. Surprise surprise. They kissed and said goodbye and Zach closed the door. He walked up to his bed and climbed up. There was one good thing having Zach's bed really close to mine, I get to ask him where he was at night. Our beds are only inches away which is kind of awkward. He laid down and sighed. "Where were you?" I asked. "I was with Jennifer, or was her name Jenna. I don't know but it started with a J, or was it L?" He asked himself. "Did you apologise to Matt tonight?" He groaned. "Yes but he was still angry so I have to stay clear of him for a while." Zach then turned to face me as we kind of sleep head to head. "So are you two like, together?" Zach asked with a hint of jealousy in his voice. I sat to face him, "that's a definite no. Even if you didn't interrupt us, I would only stay as a friend with him." I could see Zach smile a bit before it quickly vanished.

"I-I'm sorry for what I did tonight, I should've just stayed quiet. I came outside to see where you were going. I didn't want another episode of what happened with the hate-myself thoughts."

Zach, the tough guy who won't admit to be wrong...is apologising? "It's okay, thanks for looking out for me." We stayed quiet for a moment. "Enough of this sap stuff, I still have an hour of sleep. Now if you mind." Zach said quickly as he laid down in bed and closed his eyes. I did the same, "I hate you," I whispered. "I hate you too."

I didn't sleep but I stared at the ceiling for a long time. I heard the bell ring finally and I jumped out of bed and I grabbed my uniform today. I have training this morning and Hilary gave Zach and I our own uniform for training. So instead of putting on the rebel uniform, I slipped on a black tank top and shorts. The tank top had the red cross over the chest. I found out that's the Subsisto mark.

I dashed to the bathroom, had a shower, got changed and tied my hair up. I walked out of the bathroom and I saw Zach talking to Becky. She had tears in her eyes. Oh no. He walked off and she started crying on her bed. Zach came over to me. "I took your advice." Before I could respond, he walked into the bathroom.

I ran over to Becky and brought her into a hug. "What's wrong?" "Zach broke up with me." She cried out.  I held her tighter. "Becky, he's just a playboy, you were too good for him." I soothed. "That's what he told me but he also mentioned some other girl." I thought about that, who would that girl be? Maybe that girl he was with last night but who knows what goes on in Zach's strange head.

We stayed like that for a good twenty minutes before Becky went to have a shower. I paced the room bored, clicking my fingers and a flame would appear. Pretty cool and good for when it's dark or if I had to light something. It's like my personal match. The bell finally rang for breakfast and Becky and I left. We said goodbye for the day and I went to the dining hall. Everyone was already there, even Zach. I grabbed my tray and went to sit on the edge of the table, as I usually do.

I started picking at the toast as Zach came and set his tray down here. "Yes?" I snarled. "Calm down. I just came here to keep miss anti-social company." I sighed as I kept eating. He looked really good in his muscle shirt and cargo pants. We stayed quiet before Matt came and sat near us. "Hey Krista." He greeted me, completely ignoring Zach. "Hi. So what are we doing for training today?" He looked down at his watch. "In five minutes, we'll go up to the surface. Hilary and John both discussed that we all should be closer so it's a bonding lesson." I groaned and both boys looked at me. Well, it's awkward that I'll have to talk to two 18 year old twins, a 16 year old geek and a 17 year old playboy. Today will be fun. "What's wrong with that?" Zach said smugly. I shot him a glare. "I'd rather do some proper training," I muttered.

I finished the toast quickly and a few minutes later, the bell rang and we left the dining hall and we walked to the grate. We all climbed out and sat down on the ashes. "So for the next eight hours, we are all stuck together. Each person will spend time with someone else and keep swapping. Do some bonding time and I want each of you to practise your hand combat on each other. Don't hurt the other person too much." Hilary instructed as she stared at me on her last comment. "I'll also join on in this and so will John so we have equal numbers. So pick a partner." She added. John came out of the grate as if on cue.

Emet surprisingly came first. Matt and Zach were coming my way but he got there first. The boys quickly turned to each other and they went off. "Miss Krista." Emet greeted. "Just call me Krista."

We talked a little, he's a pretty interesting guy, after he stops talking tech. Then when we practised our combat, it was hard not to hurt him. He's a little better than when he started like he's not vomiting 24/7 but he's still a wimp. I heard bickering while we were fighting. I stopped and so did Emet as we turned around to see who it was. "Don't you dare!" Matt screamed at Zach. "I don't have to listen to you!" Zach retorted. They started punching each other and Hilary and John had to pull them apart. "Change partners!" Ordered Hilary. We swapped people and Hilary took Matt as Emet took Zach. John approached me. "Krista." We talked about the plan and about my powers. John kept going on about how lucky he was to have me on his team and how I had to be extra careful. We practised a bit but he was very skilled but so was I, we were on the same level. He had age, I had precision.

We swapped partners and I went to Hilary. We barely talked so we trained for a long time. Change again, I was with Matt. We sat down. "What were you and Zach fighting about?" I asked. "You." I gave him a curious look. "What about me?" Matt sighed. "Please, don't fall for him, promise me." I was shocked as I tried to change the subject. "Krista, promise me." "I can't Matt. I just can't control something like that." I blurted out. We stayed quiet as we trained. Then we were up to our last person. For me, that was Zach. He came up to me and dragged me off, away from Matt. They gave each other dirty looks until Zach looked to me.

We sat down and started talking. I can't believe how much he talks about other girls! I wasn't really listening but something in my heart broke, he must not like me if he's with so many other girls. I then wondered what Matt said about not falling for Zach...Why?

One good thing came out of today, I got to hit Zach, hard, repetitively. I got all my anger out about him. I went a little too far and I went to kick his stomach but my aim was off and I hit him a little lower. A scream escaped his lips as he dropped to the ground. I hit him in his crown jewels. I tried to hold in the laugh as I went to ask him if he was okay. After a while, he was fine again and we went back underground. Zach ignored me as he and the others went to the dining hall but I went to my quarters. I fell asleep a little after everyone came in from dinner.

Zach wasn't there, and he didn't come to the quarters that night.

----------

Teaser for chapter 15: Zach’s P.O.V. We learn a little more about Zach’s plans and the Enfirma. And what does Zach want to say to Krista that could change him?