Chapter 15

Zach P.O.V.

A hand covered my mouth when I was walking back to my quarters. The tunnel was empty, only the quiet swoosh of the river. I turned my head, about to attack but stopped instantly.

A man in a robe.

Crap, it's the Enfirma.

"Scream and someone will be very upset for blowing yours and my cover." The man whispered. He took his hand off my mouth. "We need to talk privately, come on." We walked to the grate. My hands were shaking so I placed them in my pockets. We climbed out and the man turned around to me. "Zachary, do you know why I'm here?" I shrugged. "You're slaking off, too much. Why is it taking so long to kill this one? She's our top most wanted, that's why we sent you. Zachary, you get it done quick and easy, without suspicion. Normal Zachary would take only two days, why has it taken you two months?"

I sighed, I could not tell this man the truth. "It's hard to explain." I muttered. The man shook his head and sighed. "Let's hear it." I gulped and thought of a reasonable excuse. "I have not had the right time, she is always with someone." I lied. "Okay then Zachary but I have no choice now but to say, you have a week. If you don't kill her then, we'll do it ourselves."

The man suddenly disappeared in thin air and I took a deep breath in. I ran my fingers through my hair. Why did I ever agree to do this? And how did I ever let the victim get to my head? Krista. She's so different to the girls I've met over the years. All of them worship the ground I stand on. Krista doesn't do that.

I don't want to admit this but...

I love her.

No no no, this can't be happening. I'm meant to kill her in less than a week's time. I can't do this, but I have to, I don't want Krista to die a slow and painful death. That's what the Enfirma will do to her.

I screamed out. I screamed as loudly as I could, getting all my anger out. No one would ever hear those screams. I went back down to the tunnel feeling horrible about myself. I reached my quarters but I didn't walk in, instead I went to the girl I hooked up with last night's room. I remember she had a hot friend.

-------

I went through the day thinking. I didn't attend my meals and once everyone left the quarters, I walked back into my own and laid down on my bed. I fell asleep and I slept until the bell rang for everyone to go to their quarters after dinner. I waited for Krista.

She was the last to walk in. She had a bored expression on as she went to change. After, she went and talked to the girl, Becky. I broke it off with her because of Krista. Becky's her best friend, I did the right thing, I think.

I climbed down off my bed and fixed my hair as I walked to the bathroom. I closed the door and I took my boot off. My hands started shaking as I took out the first layer inside. There it was, my dagger. I grabbed it and held it tightly in my hands. I closed my eyes and planned this out again. I put my shoe back on and slipped the dagger into my pocket, out of sight. I walked out of the bathroom and over to Krista. She was still with the girl Becky who was murdering me with her eyes. She must really hate me for breaking up with her.

"Um...Krista, we need to talk."

She nodded as she said goodbye to Becky. I grabbed her arm and took her outside the room and to the grate. Once we got above ground, my heart began to race. Krista was looking at me with curious eyes. "What's wrong Zach?" She asked with concern laced in her voice. I reached for my pocket and grabbed the dagger's handle. "I'm so sorry Krista." I muttered as I pulled the dagger out. I aimed it above her heart and she froze. She looked me straight in the eyes and under that beautiful shade of blue, was complete sadness. She was disappointed in me. "Do it Zach. End my life. I really thought better of you Zach." She had tears in her eyes and they started running down her face. I died inside, I can't see her like this. Krista's eyes never left mine. "I've never told any girl this...Krista, I love you."

Her mouth made an O shape. A smile then covered her cheeks. Okay, I definitely couldn't do this. I dropped the dagger into the ashes and my whole body started shaking. The Enfirma are going to kill me. Krista took a few steps closer to me and brought me into a hug. I loved feeling her arms around me. She cried into my chest and I hugged her tighter.

"We have a lot to talk about." She muttered into my chest and I laughed. Once she stopped crying, she faced me. She stared down to her feet. "Why did you try to kill me?" She asked. I sighed. "I work for the Enfirma. I'm not one of them although. I've been working for them for the past three years. I am their number one assassin." I hated saying that out-loud. "You were one of my victims. The Enfirma want you dead, quick. That's why they sent me to kill you. It only takes me a few days but Krista, your the first victim I've ever fallen in love with. I couldn't do it so I stalled, two months to be exact. Krista, you are the first girl I've ever been in love with. You're fierce but also kind. You look out for me, even if I act so mean to you. I haven't known you long but since first day, I knew you were special. Krista, I've never been so sure about my feelings."

It felt like a weight was just lifted off my chest. Krista was speechless...

----

Teaser for chapter 16: What does Krista say? Is her response positive or negative? But then something happens to Zach that could be life-threatening...

Cliffhanger. All will be revealed soon!!

This chapter is dedicated to @gerricaaa, thanks for supporting me with this story!!

HT12