Chapter 17: Rude Awakenings

Rose was still bleary-eyed when Isaac let himself into her room

"He's up," he said simply.

"What?" Rose scrubbed her eyes.

"Steel."

The heiress blinked at him owlishly. When it finally registered, she scrambled out of bed cursing.

"Really Lancet, I get that you're uncomfortable, but it's the crack of dawn! God, I should kill him just for making me get up without my morning tea."

Rose barely had five minutes to brush her teeth, throw water on her face and toss her aquamarine waves into a messy bun before she stomped out of her bedroom. She slammed her feet with every step she took towards the guest room, hoping that the racer would hear her irritation before her arrival, but her soft, fluffy slippers muffled her stride.

"Lancet," Rose sung, her tone dripping in venom, "Is it really necessary for you to get up now? Ever heard of a woman getting her beauty sleep?"

Lancet was buttoning the last button on his shirt before he tossed his coat over his shoulder. By the neat way his hair was slicked back, it was obvious that he had been up for a while.

Upon seeing Rose's pouting, the racer said, "You're beautiful enough, Rose, but you're free to go back to bed. You don't have to see me off."

If smoke could have come out of her ears, it would've. Rose huffed, "That would be extremely rude considering that I invited you here. Though maybe I would've re-considered the invitation if I'd known you'd force me out of bed at first blooming light! Did you even sleep at all?"

"As much as a Blaze man could on Gloxinia property."

Alright, that's it!

Rose stepped into the room and slammed the door behind her before Lancet could leave. She was fully awake now and pissed. Ever since what happened in the garden, Rose noticed the shift in Lancet's behavior, but despite it, she remained hospitable. She went to bed confused, and unsatisfied the night before, but she decided it was an understandable way to behave when being the boss of your mob family's rival.

"It'll take time for us to make this work," Rose had decided before she drifted off to sleep.

That thought had completely reversed the moment she was dragged from her comforter with news of him not only trying to leave the instant the sun came up, but also trying to avoid crossing paths with her.

"What is your problem, Lancet?"

He was a full head taller than she, and when he stopped in front of her, a very sleepy part of her wanted to pull him by the lapels until they were both in the guest bed so she could go back to sleep and as his punishment, he had to be her body pillow until it was a reasonable time to wake up.

"There's no problem, Rose," he teased, "I just have things to attend to. It's a long drive."

"And you didn't think to tell me this last night? At the very least, I could have made sure breakfast was ready by the time you woke up. What kind of host do you take me for?"