Chapter 36: Jane Doe

Just as Lancet expected — nothing went as expected

Just as Lancet expected — nothing went as expected. Once the Blaze Boss wrapped up a call with the Don of the Fratto family, got dressed, and was on the road to finally check in with members of The Four, his comm rang with an incoming call from Atro P.D. Lancet was in a fairly good mood after Gloxinia's departure to Kayos in the morning, not to mention all the festivities between the two of them the day before. But the moment Lancet saw who was on the line, he felt a familiar clench of disappointment in his chest.

The racer allowed himself two seconds to fetch pills out of his glove compartment. He dry swallowed them before dealing with whatever hell was about to unleash once he answered the call. It was a genuine effort to put on his "showman" voice, but alas, the show must go on.

"Jax! It's been a while since I've had the pleasure. How's the family?"

The officer on the other line responded. "Hey, Mr. Steel. The wife, and daughters are okay. My youngest turned eight last Monday. Thanks for asking."

"Good, good. I appreciate you lending a hand. As always, your service to the Blazes is appreciated, and you'll receive the usual package as payment."

Lancet was quick to assure the officer that he would be paid for favors as was the norm. Regardless of the changing hands in the Blaze Family, the working relationship between the Blazes, and Jax would remain intact. Jax was just a beat cop, but his intel had proved useful on several occasions.

"Thanks, Mr. Steel. Could definitely use the extra deposit with the peanuts I get paid. Anyway, I think I have something about the woman you're looking for?"

"What is it?"

"Buddy of mine was out on patrol this morning. Found a Jane Doe lying in an alley on the east side, barely conscious, and a few bruises. By the looks of it, she's got something in her system. Of course that isn't anything out of the ordinary in Atro, but since she matched your description, I figured I'd give you a call."

"Where is she now?"

"Sent her right over to the hospital on Rivers street. My wife works there. Just ask for Esme at the E.R. reception, and she'll make sure you're golden."

"Good. If the intel checks out, we'll throw in a few VIP tickets to the next race with your deposit. Consider it a belated birthday gift for your daughter."

Jax gasped on the other line. "Would you really? My daughter's gonna flip! She's a huge Stitch fan. Thanks, Mr. Steel! Thanks!"

Of course she is. What kid doesn't love a cyborg?

"No problem. We'll be in touch."

Another deep breath before he flicked on the comms in his Bayonet to reach Cross, Skiver, and Stitch simultaneously.

"Change of plans. We're heading to the hospital on Rivers."

Skiver was so loud, it made the speakers ring.