Chapter 10: Surrender

The instant the lights failed, it was as if some divine power had intervened

The instant the lights failed, it was as if some divine power had intervened. Lancet pounced without hesitation.

The racer closed his eyes. The flares beneath his eyelids would fade. Instead, he honed all of his energy towards restraining the Gloxinia Family Boss.

"You bloody-"

Rose's wrists were fragile in his large hands, easily behaved by his grip, his thumbs against her throbbing pulse. With all the fight he'd expect from the daughter of Blaze's rival, Andrew Gloxinia, Rose did not scream. Nor did she squeal like a damsel in distress.

Instead, she wrestled fiercely against his attack to subdue her, using her legs to kick at his shins.

"Quite the fighter, you are, Gloxin-"

Lancet complimented her genuinely, albeit with strain, until he had successfully steered them towards the table. Once she was pinned, each of her knees were blocked by his own. He lifted her with a grunt, approving of the clatter from her abandoned heels on the floor.

"Lancet, I swear-"

The racer laughed as she cursed, hovering over her until she calmed. Her arms were tamed by his strength behind her back. He patiently waited for the fish out of the water to still. Rose finished her threat.

"I'm going to kill you."

The lights flickered back on, returning in small intervals of black. In between, the felon could see the fear in her eyes. Angry tears glistened along her long lashes — ones that refused to fall. It took a few seconds for it to dawn on him that he was not the source of her tears.

His intention was to humble the woman, not to break her. Maintaining his clutch on both of her wrists with one hand, he used his other to support her head hanging awkwardly in the air as he balanced her body at the edge of the table.

At first, she flinched at his touch. The hand in her hair was gentler though, coaxing her. Sensing no immediate threat, Rose had no choice but to slacken.

"Relax, Rose," Lancet spread his words over her exposed throat.

He sensed the cringe she was making above his line of vision. The sweet and floral aroma of her perfume overwhelmed his senses. It was rather difficult to hide his hunger. Enjoyable meals in prison were lacking...

 Enjoyable meals in prison were lacking

Calm down, Rose. The lights are on. Breath. And try not to stab him...yet.

It took some effort to relax when every muscle in her body tensed for a chance to punch him square in the nose.

His words were hot, trickling down her thorax, his loose hair, grazing against her skin.

"Relax, Rose..."

Rose took an audible breath in and out. Her body deflated, and within seconds, the hostility between the two of them, dissipated.

The racer was simply subduing her without hurting her.

"I apologize, but there's no need to be so spiteful. After all, you asked for it."

Not being able to counter that, she agreed reluctantly, "You're right. I suppose this is a small price to pay for sticking you in here. But I still want to kill you."

"You would not be the Gloxinia Family Boss if you didn't."

Lancet's unyielding body blocked any chances of escape. Her stomach was flush with his panting chest. The felon moved to support her better, keeping his eyes in line with hers as he cautiously unfurled his fingers from her wrists.

Rose could feel him wandering, slowly drawing up her inner thigh. Had the circumstances been less deadly, she might have welcomed the advance coming from Blaze's primary enforcer.

When he discovered the pistol she had tucked into a violet garter, her breath hitched. Lancet smirked as he tightened his hand around the grip and removed the weapon.

"We can't negotiate, Rose, if you're armed. I see metal detectors are not what they used to be these days."

"Guess you're not the only one with connections in this city."

Rose watched as he slid her firearm across the table until it slammed loudly into the chair beneath it. She could have used the opening her hands were free to try to fight him off again, but experience was a great teacher. She knew he'd overpower her.

No. She had to play this smart...

As he returned to support her, she asked, "Are we done here now that we're unarmed and harmless?"

"Harmless? I am never harmless."

She rolled her eyes, and he nodded at her hands. Either she would hold on to him, or it would be a bumpy ride.

Nice day to wear a skirt, Rose. Smashing job!

Rose wrapped her arms around his neck, but not without resentment. The racer slid her forward, careful to keep her skirt from riding up as he placed her on the ground.

Rose's face was on fire by the time her adversary had completely released her. Part of it was anger.

How dare he manhandle me in such a way! I've shot men for less!

Part of it was shame. Isaac's earlier warnings were practically screaming in the back of her mind.

Forgive my impertinence, but I don't fancy the idea of you keeping this up — going into the prison on your own.

The biggest part? Embarrassment.

What kind of fool wears a skirt and heels to visit a dangerous felon? How could I have let my guard down? All because of some childhood trauma...

Now that she was free from his hold, Rose Gloxinia had two choices. Appear subjugated and wait for an opening to strike with her secret weapon. This option would salvage some pride and relieve some bloodlust, turf war be damned.

Or avoid a full out war with the Blazes on their home turf, and let bygones be bygones. Hear Lancet out, and see what advantages she could siphon from a "deal".

While Rose was still very peeved with Lancet's man handling, she also knew he was right. Feigning surrender would not work with him, not unless they were both equally vulnerable.

"I've never had to fight so hard to resist killing someone, Lancet. It's a good thing you're a looker."