5. Sin city and Trouble at first sight

Start from the beginning

It's like all the weight of tonight's events was breaking me down. I noticed Malcolm drop his rifle and he immediately wraps his other arm around my waist so that I don't  fall. It was like I'm having a panic attack and I couldn't even register anything other than that I'm in the arms of a cold hearted murderer who is strangely holding onto me instead of shooting my brains out.

Our faces were so close and his breath was fanning my teary red cheeks. I had chills all around my body from the anxiousness and horror and that made my skin crimson and sweaty.

"Relax, I won't hurt you." He said those words as he stared deep into my eyes and I didn't know whether to believe him or not. "But you need to help me hide from very dangerous people. I can't be seen in the streets or anywhere tonight while I'm like this. You are my only hope." Malcolm's voice is still as rough but with a hint of desperation.

I was so confused.

"Y-you m_murdered our security ga_urd." My voice cracked.

"He's not dead, I wasn't aiming to kill. I targeted to rapture a blood vessel on the surface of his skull and knock him out. I can save his life from bleeding out."

I need some air again.

"I can't breathe." I pleaded. "P-please let me go."

He shakes his head. "I can't do that. Not until you agree to harbour me in your home away from the people who are hunting me. Otherwise, I'll be forced to hold you hostage. And I'd much rather we make an agreement instead. For the sake of both our well being." That was a threat. It sounded like a threat.

It felt like I couldn't disagree.

To me, his words came as a warning.

He wasn't asking me to help him. Malcolm was blackmailing me , asking me to choose between harbouring him in my house and keep my freedom, or saying no and then he'll hold me captive and use my house as he pleased. It's like I didn't have alot of a choice.

All this terrified me more.

But my lungs were burning again and my eyes were blurring from failure to breathe.

"P-please. I need a-air." I choked on my own words as my eyes burned as well.

"Make a choice." His grip on my chin tightened and his arm around my waist held on tighter that my body felt squished against his bloody one.

Tears fell from my eyes again.

I nodded my head vigorously hoping he'll understand.

"Is that a yes?" His deep voice echoed against my ear.

I nodded again desperately.

He let me go and I fell onto the ground because I lost balance, breathing harshly like my life depended on it. I tried whipping my tears away with my palms but they kept falling.

"We've no time to waste, go get something inside to clean all this blood out here as I drag his body inside."

What?

"We can't have that body in my house." I looked up at him with eyes of desolation. "What if he dies? I'll be an accomplice in a murder crime?"