Chapter 12: It's Called 'Panliligaw'

"Love at first sight is extremely rare, It happens only in 4 percent in the world. What you truly want, it is true love. So, don't rush it because it develops slow." -Linda Alfiori

Learn to take things slowly, Gabrielle. Everything falls at the right time and place. Rushing won't do you any good. -H 💋

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Come with us," Dad told Xander before pulling my arm and forcing me to get in the front seat of his car.

I looked at Xander. He got into his car too and followed us home.

Mom got so confused when she saw Xander entering with us.

"What's going on?" Mom asked.

"You ask Marina," Dad answered. Mom gave me a questioning look.

I groaned. "I don't know what's the big deal! We're not even together yet."

My mom covered her mouth in shock. "Does he like you?" she asked and I nodded as a response. "My baby girl is going to have a boyfriend!"

"Mom," I said, widening my eyes to tell her that she's embarrassing me.

"He can't be your boyfriend yet," Dad said.

"Dad!" I cried. Xander held my hand to calm me down.

"No touching!" Dad hissed, making Xander let go of my hand and moving to a safer distance.

"Just let them be, love. Let them discover new things," Mom told Dad.

"I can't just let them be, Lianna so we would have to do this the Filipino way," Dad said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed.

"Filipino way of courting," Dad answered.

I sighed. "What's that?" Xander asked.

"It's called 'Panliligaw'," I answered.

The English translation of panliligaw is courtship. Panliligaw is done by Filipino men to express their love for their lady. Usually, at the end of courting, the parents of the girl then agree to give their daughter's hand in marriage, but since we are in the modern-day and age, men court women for them to be their girlfriend.

It is the best way to know if the guy is really serious about the girl. Courting can take up to years depending on the girl or her parents. During the courtship period, they get to know each other, date, see if they could work out in a relationship. It's like a trial period.

In olden times, guys have to give gifts to the girl and serenade them. Guys still do these today but add a modern twist to it. Before, guys should also serve the girl's family. This is not done now but some men take initiative to really prove to his girl and her parents that his intentions are pure.

A woman's role in this is to make the judgment. They can't court men and do what they do but since we are in the 21st century, some women are brave enough to court the guy they like. I repeat, some women. Courting a man doesn't really look good in the eyes of others because they may look desperate and pathetic. Most girls still look up to Maria Clara and want to be like her.

Maria Clara is a fictional character in the books of the Philippines' National Hero named Dr. Jose Rizal. Maria Clara is the epitome of beauty, kindness, and modesty. She is the real envision of a Filipina woman.

"So you want Xander to court Marina?" Mom asked Dad.

Dad nodded as a response. "And because I know Marina would clearly say yes right away, he will have to court her until I approve of their relationship," Dad said and I gasped.

He can't be serious about that, right? It's going to take ages before he gives his approval.

"I don't agree." I crossed my arms. "We'll decide on our own relationship, Dad, " I said, firmly.

"You should take things slow, Marina, " he said.

"Life is short, okay? So if I want to be with him now, then I will, " I argued.

"Will you just obey my orders?! This is for you too. I want to know if he's really serious about you, " Dad debated.

I pulled my hair in frustration. "This is annoying! You wouldn't approve of him right away. I am sure of it. Just let us be, Dad, please."

"It's fine, Brielle, " Xander said, making us face him.

He smiled. "I'll do what your dad said. I'll court you."

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"I'm sorry about what happened. Dad is so overprotective that it had come to this, " I told Xander while walking with him to his car that is parked in front of our house.

"I told you, it's fine. I'm really serious about you so I'll do anything to win your heart and to get your dad's approval, " he said, smiling. My heart can't stop beating rapidly right now. It's thumping so fast that it may jump out of my chest at any second. This man in front of me is unreal. A few words from him can make my heart go crazy.

"I'll help you too, okay? You won't be fighting alone, " I assured him.

"Thank you." He nodded. "How does this work again?" he asked, scratching the back of his head.

"We're allowed to go on dates and uhmm... I don't know how to explain it. It's like we're together but not really. We can't kiss and uhmm... touch each other until Dad approves, " I answered.

He sighed. "That's too bad."

"You can still back out if you want, " I suggested.

"No, as I've said, I'm fine with what your Dad wants. I'm just sad because..." He cleared his throat. "I actually want to kiss you right now, " he said before looking away. My eyes widened and my face heated.

"B-but we c-can't, " I answered like it wasn't obvious enough.

"Tell your dad, I'm sorry, " he said, looking at me.

"Why?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

I almost yelped when he planted a quick kiss on my cheek before walking to his car and as quick as lightning, he was gone.

I still can't move after what he did. Everything happened so fast that I didn't get the time to process everything.

How can he leave after doing that?!

"I saw that, " Dad said from behind, making me jump.

"Don't punish him, please, " I pleaded.

"I was thinking of not giving him my approval as punishment but since you pleaded, I won't be punishing. Just don't let him do that again while you're in the courting stage, " he said.

"Why do you hate him so much?" I asked.

"I don't hate him, Ariel. I just have a weird feeling about him, " he answered.

I knitted my eyebrows. "What weird feeling?"

He sighed before staring directly at me. I don't know why I became nervous by the way Dad looked. "I don't know why I feel like he'll be your greatest downfall."