Chapter 22: Behind Mission: Payback

"If a person is seriously injured as a result of someone else's negligence, then they are entitled to compensation." -Robert Rinder

Always remember that your parents did this to you, Gabrielle. -H💋

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"I told you, Lianna. Nothing good will ever come out by letting your daughter date!" I heard Dad tell Mom.

"I just want our daughter to be happy, Gabriel. Is that too much to ask?" Mom retorted.

I slowly opened my eyes. Dad is sitting on the chair beside my desk. He's still wearing work clothes and it looks like he rushed to get home from his business trip. Mom is sitting beside me on my bed.

I took a deep breath before standing up. "Marina, " both of them called, concern evident in their tone.

"Are you okay?" Mom asked. I want to laugh and scream. I was never okay and I will never be due to them.

I shook my head as a response before looking down. I wanted to curse them but they're still my parents and I respect them so much.

"What's the address of that boy?" Dad stood up. "I am going to–"

"It's not his fault, Dad, " I cut him off.

"W-What?" His eyes widened.

I sighed. "You're at fault too."

"What did I do?" Dad asked.

I shook my head. "I want to know too. What did you do that made Sandra Planes want to get her revenge? Xander is her son."

Dad held his breath. "He's– what? How?" he asked, shock evident in his tone.

"Sandra planned everything. She was the reason why I'm like this and her greatest plan was to make me fall for her son so he would end up shattering my heart." I laughed bitterly. "She succeeded. It fucking hurts."

"Why is Sandra taking revenge?" Dad asked.

"I don't know," I answered. "Care to explain why, Mom?" I faced Mom. She sighed before diverting her gaze to the ground.

"You know what she's talking about?" Dad asked Mom. Mom nodded lightly as a response. "Lianna," Dad said in disbelief.

"Gabriel, I'm sorry," Mom said, starting to tear up. Dad unconsciously returned to his seat while still staring at Mom.

"What are you hiding from me, Lianna?"

"I just... I was scared," Mom said, wiping her tears. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before saying, "It all started a few months before I found out I was pregnant with Marina."

"No, don't go just yet," Gabriel said, pulling me to sit on his lap. We are currently in North Carolina to visit our parents.

"You could come with me if you want. I mean it's just Bianca. I'm sure your cousin won't mind if you went with us." I faced him.

"But I'm too lazy to leave the house," he whined while burying his face on my back.

"Then stay here and let me go then," I said, trying to remove his hands from my waist.