Chapter 1

-Null Realm-

Unbeknownst to everyone, a creature was beginning to emerge from the shadows, far from anywhere, yet found nowhere. This creature was not of the world governed by the Angels nor the Omni-King, but rather a creature deep within the umbrage of the Multiverse.

They emerged from the cracks that bound the two realms, their black smoke seeping out before two large claws emerged, prying open the crack before emerging, looking around and staring at nothing but empty space.

They were rather peculiar even by most standards. They had a body the shape of a long teardrop, with the tip acting as a tail. They had no legs, and thus floated about, with only two large claws that were longer than their own body. Purple eyes glowed through the black tendrils that surrounded their body, being the only source of light in a void so dull.

"Hmm..." The creature's voice echoed, a neutral tone akin to their neutral gender, "I sense remnants... remnants of mortals in this realm."

They quickly noticed the residue of a tournament ring. Rocks floated about aimlessly, having lost their purpose as a ring fit to hold a grand tournament. They knew that well, and while it seemed peculiar to have a tournament in a place such as the Null Realm, they understood why the Grand Priest would do such a thing.

"At best, you're a perfectionist. At worst? Lazy." They scoffed, drifting amongst the rubble before them, using one of their claws to latch onto what used to be a pillar, "What good is a ring that can't even handle such mortals?"

Letting the pillar escape their grasp, the unknown beast soon decided enough was enough, before closing their glowing eyes. It started out as a purple dot in the realm of emptiness, which slowly began to grow, twist, and spiral into a portal. Where it would take them, they weren't sure. However... it would be amusing to see who would succumb to their corruption or, better yet, find someone worthy of being their host.

The creature soon gave a sickly sweet smile, "This era is very interesting. I wonder... are the mortals of this lifetime strong-willed? Or will they succumb like they hadn't changed at all?"

With those words, they leapt through the portal, closing it the moment they escaped the void and began their quest for a new host, to further their knowledge of mortals and their psychological stability.

-Planet Earth-

Goku and Jiren continued strolling through West City, which was absolutely bustling. There were many sales on shops, and people were rushing through to get the best deals. Cars hovered past, and Goku swore he heard the sounds of sirens not too far from where they were.

Jiren took notice of quite a few aliens roaming around and chatting. He recognised some as Yardratians, Namekians and a few others that he had encountered in his time as a Pride Trooper.

"I thought Earth was some kind of backwater planet." He admitted, "I never imagined that it was some kind of hub for other races."

"Yeah." Goku rubbed the back of his head, looking around the city, "Ever since the whole Moro incident, more and more people from other planets came by. At first it was to congratulate us on defeating him, but then they began to like our planet, and wanted to trade with us because of that! Now we've got multiple races coming over for resources or for refuge."

"I see." Jiren had heard stories like this in his universe before, although it was quite surprising to hear that a planet like Earth had become an area of refuge for everyone. It was, after all, relatively far from the centre of the universe.

After that, the duo decided to sit on a bench in the park, with the Saiyan introducing Jiren to some Earth food which, to Jiren's amazement, had tasted better than what they had in Universe 11, and that was a relatively high bar to overcome considering all the delicacies of Planet Netfiss.

Goku, however, was still bothered by something. Jiren had always been a solitary man, regardless of his change in ideals, and he knew those kinds of people well, so finding out that he wanted to explore Earth with him was... peculiar to him, to say the least.

Soon, the Saiyan decided to voice his concerns and finished up his chocolate ice cream, turning to face the Gray with a look of curiosity, "Why're you here, Jiren? People like you don't come by without a reason."

Jiren sighed, knowing that Goku had caught him in the act, "I suppose you're right." He looked down, taking a deep breath before turning to face Goku, "I... I want to apologise... for what I did back at the Tournament of Power when I... you know what I did."

"Apologise?" Goku tilted his head, "Why? It's been three years since the tournament."

"I understand that, however..." He looked away, soon facing the clear blue sky above them, "I want to make amends. I know how forgiving you are, but I wanted to make things right. I do not like not having a clear conscience with these sorts of things."

At this point, Jiren's eyes had closed, lost in his own thoughts. But he was startled by a short laugh coming out from Goku's mouth, "What is it that you find so funny?"

Goku's laughter soon died down, "Nothing, it's just... ya don't need to do that. I already forgave you, and ya don't need to make amends. What's done is done, right?"

Jiren gave a weak chuckle that held some semblance to relief, "Heh... I guess you're right."

Goku gave a smile as their conversation ended, then quickly stood up, Jiren following suit. Words were never said, but the duo both decided to continue the tour of Earth, not knowing what was ahead of them.

Not knowing the beast that hid in the darkest shadows.

---

Meanwhile, in Universe 6, the Legendary Assassin, Hit, walked through the damp streets of a planet he never bothered to learn the name of. He was a muscular humanoid, with purple skin, red eyes, and a long dark purple, blue and grey trench coat. Secretive clothing for a secretive man.

Unless someone was able to challenge him in battle, he never cared about who he killed. It was all a part of the job. Being over a thousand years old paved the way to a cold heart and an even colder personality... towards those he didn't respect as much as others, at least.

Hit had ended the life of yet another target, and had gotten his payment swiftly and without fuss. He then closed his eyes, before Time-Skipping back to his hotel room to avoid anyone taking notice of him. Having a nomadic lifestyle, he never lingered in an area for too long to avoid getting caught, never spending more than a few days there depending on how long it took for him to take care of his target. However, that was one of the last things on his mind.

He gave a small sigh as he packed what few belongings he had before something briefly caught his eye. It was a small scarf that went from sky blue to magenta in a gradient, folded neatly on the bedside table. On top of it was a worn out framed picture, which showed him in his younger years standing next to a young girl with the stature of a 17-year-old.

The girl could best be described as a feminine version of Hit in terms of her stature, skin colour, all the way to the red eyes and markings. She was the owner of the scarf, and had maroon hair tied up in a messy ponytail, with a darker shade outlining her hair. She wore a teal and dark green jacket, black undershirt and pants with white trainers. She also had a cheeky grin on her face as she made a peace sign in front of her.

Hit picked up the picture, staring at it for a while, his stoic expression briefly turning into one with a hint of longing and grief.

"Are you out there somewhere...?" He whispered to no one, his once monotonous voice caving in with a partial voice crack, "Living your life... without me holding you back...?"

He knew he wouldn't get an answer, but he could at least try to reach her. If there was one thing he had, it was patience, and he knew that he'd wait for as long as he could until she could come back.

"Don't worry, just a few more contracts... and then I will be able to protect you again."

As he said those words, he didn't seem to notice two purple eyes watching him from the darkest part of the hotel room, their owner merging with the shadows to avoid detection. They gave a small grin as they slipped away, knowing that they had found their host and, with enough persuasion, they could break him to the point of no return.

Because sometimes... people don't get a chance to choose.