Chapter 5 - Falling into Place - Part 2

*Remember to click the play button to listen to the soundtrack as you read!*

They were still lost in their imaginations when the hovercraft finally stopped in front of a huge building with jade columns. It took up a whole city block by itself and was so close to the spaceport that Velda could see the gleaming dome in the distance, with a few ships buzzing in and out of the open top like insects around a light.

The Council building had a huge entryway that was open to the air, but as Velda looked closer she saw a thin sheet of blue magic blocking the way in. Alesteir stepped down, pausing to help Rhea and the children, then walked briskly forward and swept the magic aside with some of his own.

They entered the front hall of the structure, which was made of giant jade bricks. There was nobody else around besides the royals and the guards. They didn't hesitate long, and as soon as the guards caught up, the MepQueen led the way down one of the two hallways around the edge of the building. They finally stopped in front of a massive jade door that was imprinted with the Myusarian flag emblem, just like the castle door. Rhea held up a hand to the door to unlock it, and Velda noticed that it was tall enough for a human to walk through, like the front door of the castle.

The door slid swiftly open, and they faced the Myusarian Council. According to the law set by the Gray Council, their governing body had five members, a number that vaguely corresponded to the size of their realm. Rhea counted as one, so four other meps could rule in the Council. Myusaria had the smallest possible size for a Council in the Gray, though even huge galactic Empires, like the Tarrephaene Empire, never had more than nine Councilors.

Velda gazed over the gathered group in awe. They all had sashes of gems, like the MepKing and MepQueen, though they were only one color each. One blonde mep stood out to Velda. She had never seen such light-colored fur before.

The Council sat in a semicircle around the back edge of the round room. Solid carved jade chairs facing the Council's ornate gold chairs had been set aside for the royals, but first Rhea greeted all of them by name and engaged in some quick personal talks. It was obvious that they were all friends as well as legal partners. MepKing Alesteir and the children sat in their designated place and were content to wait.

Finally, MepQueen Rhea sat down and addressed them all more formally. "Councilors, I'd like you to meet Velda and Mortimer. Children, these are Councilors Ragos, Merithyl, Aribe, and Kemmet." Aribe turned out to be the blonde one, while Kemmet and Merithyl had much darker orange fur. All of them had stones that changed their eye color from orange to more exotic tinges, and Kemmet's were silver, nearly white. "We've agreed to let you examine them," Rhea said to the Council. "Our suspicions rest on Velda, of course, but Mortimer may have some potential as well." Mortimer covertly narrowed his eyes at Velda.

The mep at the far right of the Council, whom Rhea had called Ragos, looked very old, with lighter orange fur and knowing eyes. He gestured to Mortimer. "Come here, boy."

Mortimer raised an eyebrow. "What for?"

"That is no way to talk to a Council member," Rhea admonished. "Go on, Ragos won't hurt you." She pushed him lightly forward and Mortimer trotted up to the ancient mep.

Ragos first looked at Mortimer's stone, reaching down and lifting his wrist to see it more closely as the royals had at the orphanage. His blue eyes scoured its surface. "The magic in this stone is quite dense," he said finally. "Where did it come from?"

"I have no idea; I've always had it," Mortimer explained, "My parents must have bound it to me when I was very young."

Ragos nodded and let go of Mortimer's hand. "MepQueen Rhea reported that you have very powerful fire magic, yet the stone appears to have more orange in it," he said, squinting. "Your eyes are dark orange, too. Very strange. Perhaps it's just the lighting." He glanced up at the lights embedded in the granite ceiling.

Mortimer shook his head. "No, it always looks more orange. I don't know why."

Ragos shrugged. "Whatever the reason, that is quite a treasure. Could you do some simple magic with it for us to see?" The other Council members leaned in expectantly.

Mortimer saw all eyes on him and shyly lifted his hand to produce a hovering ball of flame. He managed to hold it in place for a few seconds before the magic tapered out. "How's that?"

"Very strange indeed. Have you ever tried to use your stone with its other given specialty? It should be strong with life magic too."

"What sort of magic would that be?"

"Generally, healing and growth." Ragos reached a hand into the pocket under his sash and retrieved a small seed, just barely sprouted past its shell. Velda leaned forward in her seat to get a better look and nearly fell before Alesteir caught her with one arm. He never moved to look at her but winked as she sat back down.

Ragos gave the sprouted seed to Mortimer. "This could grow into a winged orchid bush if it was given the proper energy," he told him.

Mortimer held the seed between two fingers, examining it nervously. "I've never done anything besides fire magic," he admitted. "I might hurt it by accident."

Mortimer tried to give the seed back to Ragos, almost forcefully, but the ancient mep backed away with hands raised. "No, it's yours now. Try out your specialty or leave it alone, but I won't take the seed back."

Ragos took his place again, and they all watched Mortimer expectantly. Mortimer sighed, then put the seed on the smooth jade floor and closed his eyes to focus. A tendril of his orange magic left his wrist, wrapping around the seed. He never opened his eyes, but the seed did start to grow. Fast. That is very impressive, Cha thought to Velda.

I'll say, she replied, eyes wide. I've never seen anything like it.

Mortimer stopped just as a trio of flowers bloomed on the bush. They were all deep orange, just like his stone. He tentatively looked around the room at the royals and the Council, then froze when he spotted the bush. Its roots were spiraling in fractals across the floor. "I did that?"

Ragos looked intrigued. "Well done, Mortimer. However, I believe this wasn't the first time you've used nature magic."

Mortimer glanced up at him quickly. "Why do you say that?"

"It was quite skillful. Anyone without experience with an orange stone could potentially lose focus when the seed's roots emerged." Mortimer was staring at the ground now. "When did you first perform magic like this?" Ragos asked him. Mortimer didn't respond. "Do you remember?"

He sighed and relented. "No, but it was a long time ago." The answer shocked Velda. She'd never seen him use any kind of nature magic before. "I healed a cut by accident," Mortimer explained. "I hadn't even learned fire magic yet."

Ragos nodded thoughtfully. "You certainly fooled us. I was starting to think that the stone was mostly red." He looked past Mortimer to where Velda was sitting. "Let's see yours now."

Mortimer sighed in relief and took his seat. Velda nervously approached Ragos, and he only took one glance at her stone before saying gently, "I've never seen such a singly colored stone. There is no hint of impurity. Where is your vaya?"

Cha emerged from her stone and stared Ragos down without speaking, and he looked delighted. "That's it, then," he told them. "She's the Keeper."

"It could be just a coincidence that the vaya appeared to her," Rhea replied defensively. "I've seen a few stones that had mostly one color."

Cha crossed its arms. "I am a Master Vaya. I am bound to a stone. What more is needed to prove this?"

There was a long pause. "I won't tire you out with your magic, Velda," Ragos finally decided. "MepQueen Rhea, may we have a private word with you?"

The MepKing led Mortimer and Velda out of the room, and Velda heard a snippet of conversation before the doors slammed shut again. "Do you have any idea what this means, MepQueen?"