A Secret Weapon

"Today marks day one of training for you," announced Brianna. Her hair was tied on top of her head in a large curled ponytail that flounced down her back. "You're behind. Normally, I leave foundation training to Julian, but seeing as how you're two and a half weeks off track, there's no one more qualified to train you than me. Consider this a favor from a friend."

Brianna winked at Everly and bounded over to an enormous black mat. Right now, they were in a below-ground gym located beneath Newman Hall. According to Brianna, this was where the Five Minds had combat training each morning at 6am. Everly was several weeks behind, so today would consist of training and nothing but training.

Since arriving at New City, she'd been going on trail runs. The same ones that New City's cross country team used regularly. While Everly couldn't go back to who she was before arriving at New City, running was a piece of herself that she could take with her wherever she went, no matter how different her life had begun to look. Only when her feet treaded ground did she feel completely at peace. The world was always moving around her, but as she bounded through the woods, she felt like she was going somewhere, too. Everly was strong and in good shape. She could run without getting winded, but she was clueless as to how to use her body in combat. The one move she knew was how to run away. While this move was successful - and often necessary for survival - it wasn't going to help her win a battle if she was under attack. Brianna had unparalleled coordination and skill. Both of her parents were Nephilim and began training her at an early age. She was thin, but you didn't have to be brawny to throw a good punch. You just have to hit them where it hurt, and she was going to show Everly how.

"Everly, I've got to ask you a question," said Brianna, turning her nose up at her friend.

"What's the question?"

"Have you ever fought anyone?"

"No. Why does that matter?"

"Before we ever move an arm or a leg, it's important that we know why we're fighting and whether or not taking physical action is an ethical decision. You know our procedures. You know that we begin by reasoning with people as they're being tempted. We'll even begin with reasoning when that person is possessed. In every circumstance, unless an immediate threat is present, we begin with reasoning."

"What does that look like in light of present circumstances?"
"Well. As we suspect, those who are responsible for reasoning are not doing their part. While we can't reveal our suspicions, we can step into those situations early. Be present around those who are under demonic attack while the advocates are pretending to reason. We can put the pressure on them to perform their role with eyes watching them intently until we figure out what their plans are."

"And if that fails?"

"We'll just have to do the next right thing," Brianna answered thoughtlessly.

Brianna walked around the mat stealthily, like a mountain lion ready to strike.

"Everly, it's difficult to explain these circumstances to someone without experience. We're fighting ancient demonic creatures that fell from the heavenly realms. They're less physical, and more...how do I put it...psychological. We don't fight them directly. Picture punching a black cloud. It doesn't work. Not that we haven't tried. Instead, we clean up the mess the Darkness causes by shining our own Light in the world. Always remember, light drives out the Darkness and exposes it for what it really is, therefore, the two cannot coexist. We speak the truth, and if that doesn't work, we fight to protect the innocent."

"What do you do with the people that have turned?"

"As a part of our job, we must detain the people the Darkness infects and wipe their minds from the recent trauma they've undergone. If we get there in time. But we've also had to kill before. While it's been in self-defense, there's no going back from that. Taking another life, even if the Light inside of that person is gone, changes you. The people that choose the Darkness are the most dangerous - people like my aunt Adeline, people like the individuals that we believe have turned inside of the Five Minds. Those kinds of people are willing to give up everything for the Darkness. They will murder their way to the top unless someone comes in and stops them. Adeline was easy to detain because of her age and physical condition. But the others - they're highly trained soldiers. I'm not saying that taking a life should be our first move. It should be our very last in a situation of self-defense. But for people like those - there are two things we can do. Wipe their minds of everything they know regarding the spiritual world, or kill them. They're far too dangerous."